Checking AppleCare, extending warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crashwins, May 7, 2013.

1. crashwins macrumors member

Just ran the serial on the rMBP I just bought. I'm getting this:

Please validate your product's purchase date.
    Apple is unable to provide information about your service coverage. Please sign in with your Apple ID and provide your product's date of purchase so that we can display your coverage information.

I don't know the date as it was used, purchased on the secondary market. Legit guy, just assumed he never registered it as it was still in the box (no, I highly doubt it was stolen). Thanks!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Have you tried entering the date you purchased it as the purchase date? I think that's what they're looking for and your standard warranty will be from that date forward.

3. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. So, just like today's date? I suppose I could try that. Worried it would lock me out or something if done incorrectly.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Well, I really don't know the answer to that as I've only ever bought new Macs. I know that sometimes (even with new Macs) they ask for a receipt to validate the date of purchase, but, since you bought a "new" unused Mac from a non-Apple Reseller I don't imagine you'd have one or maybe you do. As an alternative you could try calling Apple and asking them, I imagine they would know what to do in a situation like this.

5. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

It isn't going to lock you out. I've sold one of my MacBook Pro's in the past before the 1 year warranty was up and the buyer was still able to add Apple Care on. When you give them the serial number of the computer, they can validate the date of purchase from that.

I ordered my Apple Care for my MBP about 4 days ago and it had to be shipped to me since I used my student discount. My OEM warranty expired yesterday but when I called in and gave them the Apple Care serial #, they validated the purchase date (before my expiration date) and added it on with no issues.

1-800-APL-CARE .. give them a call and they'll lead you in the right direction.