Checking For Mail...and checking and checking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freis968, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I have the latest iPhone update for my 2G iPhone. Since then when I go to check my mail at my home on my WiFi network it takes about a full minute to Check For Mail. Also, the number of emails on my Email Icon on the home screen is not current. When I awoke this morning the icon only showed I had 4 emails when in fact I had over 24 between the two email accounts I have on my iPhone.

Since the latest update this has been a problem and not before. My WiFi connection is running just fine in my home, no issues there.

Anyone else having the similiar issue?

2. cere macrumors 6502

I have had similar issues with 2.1 and prior, though it is much less of a problem with 2.1. My issue is that Mail just stop receiving emails. When I open mail, it usually will say 'connecting' or 'checking' but then it stop and no emails. If I check those accounts on my computer, then I see that indeed there are new messages. The only solution I have found so far is to start Mail and then force it to quit by holding down the Home button. Prior to 2.1, I was having to kill Mail multiple times in a day, as my computer would show I had new mail and Mail would not. After 2.1 it is down to once every day or two. For the first month that I had the phone, this did not happen at all. Immediately after 2.1 was installed it didn't need a force quit for a couple days. I wonder if another restore would help, at least temporarily. It isn't a big deal for me right now. If I haven't received an email for a few hours, I do a force quit and if there are new messages they show up right away.

3. random person macrumors 6502a

I've had this problem too. A soft reset (home button and power button ) solved it for me. Nothing else worked!

4. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

It is a true shame that the iPhone worked beautifully for me from day 1 and then after these updates...the phone just goes to ****!

5. random person macrumors 6502a

I agree. And it's even more ironic now for me -- I just upgraded to the 3g and had my first ever dropped call.

6. Streamer macrumors member

I see this about once a day, it seems to start when I look at my email on 3g and it tries to connect and I guess either the server fails to respond properly. Then it seems to hang. Then it kinda sits there and I can't receive/send any email even on my Exchange account at that point.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You don't have to do a soft reset, just open mail and hold your home key for about 6 seconds and force it to close. Reopen it and enjoy getting mail again...for a bit.