Checking for updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buckit, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Buckit macrumors member

ok... so last year I setup a script running on my old computer to check a file online (from apple) that has all the latest versions of the IOS in it (including ipod versions).as soon as 3.0 was available it shot me an email...

I have been searching for the last hour and must be searching for the wrong thing...

anyone have any idea what the link is to the file I'm talking about?

I believe its an XML file... an online file that iTunes checks to see if there is a newer version available when you use "check for update".

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I know the XML file you're talking about, no clue what the URL for it is though. What good will it do to know the exact minute that iOS 4.0 is available? Seems just a tad bit obsessive...

3. Buckit thread starter macrumors member

not really... I have much better things to be doing than checking to see if its released... but my curiosity also wants to know when its available...

when I get excited about something I tend to think about it constantly and it can distract me through out the day... regardless if I can update my phone or not, I will be curious when it becomes available and will take time out of my day to check every once in a while...

if I set this up then I wont have to think about it and it wont distract me from getting the more important things done... I'll know once its released and can take my time from that point on to get the update completed... wont waste any time being a giddy little school girl wondering when the darn OS will be released.

stupid? sure... but at least I can admit my flaws. :)

4. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I brought my MBP to work today so when the release was "officially" out, I could download there (as opposed to waiting until I got home). Patience is NOT one of my virtues!

5. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

You mean to tell me that I'm obessive because I have mashed "check for update" more than 100 times already?

6. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Ouch, and I thought I was nuts. I checked about 4 times.

7. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

Im the same way. haha

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Looks like June 2009 all over again. When will people learn?

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just connected my 3GS and iTunes a said my software is up to date and that it wouldn't check again until the 24th, so not sure how they are pushing them out, but I can wait until the 24th when I get my i4 so I get the whole experience :D

I wonder how they will do this :rolleyes:

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

itunes does not know when ios4 is coming out haha. once its out it will tell you its out.

the best bet is to wait til its on the front page.. shouldnt take more than a few minutes for it to be posted.