Checking Mac Pro in box as luggage...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dsa420, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

So I am relocating for work and need to get both of my machines out to California from TX. I will be flying back and forth from CA to TX a few times prior to the move being finished and I am considering put my Mac Pro's back in their retail box and checking them as luggage on one of my many flights back and forth.

There is no cost associated with checking luggage as I have elite status with the airline. Are there any forseeable risks with check my computers as luggage as opposed to sending them via FedEX, UPS, etc?

If you really think about it the shipping carriers don't handle packages any more carefully than an airline would. Any other thoughts?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Check out this thread. In short, ship the thing. Get another box and pad the original box and packaging and you should be more then fine.

3. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks... Let me add another wrinkle of complexity here, I just purchased the Mac Pro 1 week ago, so I could potentially take it back.

I would assumingly have the pay the restocking fee, but considering that shipping would cost around $70, the cost vs the risk of having it screwed up could be worth it. Any chance Apple would make a concession on the restocking fee should I make arrangements with them to buy one online or in a retail store in CA?

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Do Not Check Your Mac Pro On A Plane!!! Use Fedex!!!

5. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Do not check it in!

i work in the airport and you should see what happens to bags once they disappear past the checking desks.

6. parakiet macrumors regular

idd!

worked there as a student during holiday.

your mac pro will fly after he has landed ;)