Checking mail on non-secure wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jasmynp, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

So my job has wifi that's unsecured. When I go to check my email I get an error message that the email client can't connect to the server. Is this something apple built in or can I do so something to fix it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably your server settings configured incorrectly.

3. xiMatt macrumors newbie

xiMatt

1) Wifi Filter
    Being one of the many people in the world to have iPads, paid by my district, at school, this too has happened to me when I set up my mail account in the 'Mail' app. Most likely, the wifi is the problem, with the wifi having a filter. For example, when I tried going to gmail.com at my school's wifi, I was denied because they have a filter that blocks websites. So, as goes for restricting websites, the app follows through with not going to that website.

2) Account Settings
    Simple. Maybe you put your email and password incorrectly? Check. (Setting>Mail, Accounts, Calenders. Under accounts, click the tab for your email, make sure the address is correct, if not, click the address, type it correctly, and also, to be sure, type your password again)