Checking MBP RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PJM, Feb 13, 2008.

1. PJM macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my MBP ram from 2gb to 3 gb and everything seems OK.

Two, probably stupid, questions:

1.- How can I be sure that everything is fine? Is there a way to check ram using Mac OS X? Do I need to download a specific program to do that?
    2.- I have been using my laptop all morning. I can see the performance improvement when using several applications at the same time and my page in/page out ratio decrease a lot. However, when using basic applications (safari, mail, etc.), I notice I have little free memory. Is this normal? is the system supposed to take as much memory as it can weather it really is needed or not? How does it work?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

If it shows 3GB in "About My Mac" then you shouldn't worry.

If you're still unsure, go to About My Mac > More Information > Hardware > Memory. You'll then see the status of your RAM sticks, which should be "OK".

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Dunno about that. My 1Gb module from OWC was tested as "bad" by Apple when I sent it in for unrelated issues a week ago. Never had memory-related issues, ever. I haven't confirmed it yet - I'll test it out this week.

If you have AppleCare, you can download TechTool Deluxe (personally, I hate this company), or you can download some of the other hardware testing programs from MU or VT.