Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
How can I do this? I'm running a 3D design program that is pretty taxing on the computer and right now the fans are running at hyper speed. I am wondering, how can I check to make sure it's not getting too hot? Could this be causing some permanant damage?

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
And that helps me how? All the keys are working fine. I don't get what you are driving at.

I was hoping you would do a bit of research on your own...Anyways, on the Icon on the windows Task Bar (next to the clock) Right click > MacBook Settings. It will let you modify Fan Speed, Light Sensor (for MBP), Backlight, etc...

agore

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
How can I do this? I'm running a 3D design program that is pretty taxing on the computer and right now the fans are running at hyper speed. I am wondering, how can I check to make sure it's not getting too hot? Could this be causing some permanant damage?

Instead of using Boot Camp, run your application in virtual. I do this all the time with SQL Server and MS Visual Studio in Parallels.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
Instead of using Boot Camp, run your application in virtual. I do this all the time with SQL Server and MS Visual Studio in Parallels.

In order to use 3D design applications (which the original poster expressed his/her desire to do so), you'll need as much juice from your graphics card as possible (3DsMAX 9 wouldn't run on Fusion, for instance). Unfortunately, Vmware/Parallels are not really efficient with 3D graphics (I am not sure, but I think they only support up to DirectX 7?). Best bet for the OP is boot camp.

I have yet to find any issues with Input Remapper, but whatever the OP decides, please do let us know, help us help others =].

Could this be causing some permanant damage?

It really depends. The Core2Duo chip on MBPs are designed to work normally up to 80C (don't quote me on this though...). Will it cause long term damage? Possibly. Heat makes the internal components expand, and when it cools off, they shrink back to their original size. Now, I'm no trying to scare you or anything, but constant temperature changes can damage your logic board overtime. Do remember: this is a laptop, as powerful as it might be, it is not advisable for you to use extremely demanding applications on it.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah

They won't allow the program to run that I use. I have tried to use them. The good thing is, when I run the program without the external monitor hooked up, it doesn't get as hot.

I guess I'll probably be putting that program on it later today.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
The good thing is, when I run the program without the external monitor hooked up, it doesn't get as hot.

Can't see you mentioning this anywhere earlier, if you're using a bigger monitor/more than one monitor the overall graphics processing is increased, this would add heat and thus need more cooling.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Can't see you mentioning this anywhere earlier, if you're using a bigger monitor/more than one monitor the overall graphics processing is increased, this would add heat and thus need more cooling.

Yeah, sorry. I was mostly wanting to know if there was a way to check the temps out. As soon as they fix/setup the other computer at work by moving/installing all the files on it I can get the network cable back to my machine at work so I don't have to use my computer set up this way. Yet another reason to hate Windows. They have been having problems getting it working, so I sit at my desk using my laptop instead of the Dell sitting here next to me. The program has to be activated/deactivated over the internet, so I can't activate it on the Dell. Oh well, it should all be over after this weekend I hope.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I found this handy program here. It gives all sorts of readouts. My "core" is running at 153 F (67 C). I guess by "Core" it is monitoring the video card chip. The two Intel core's are reading at 113 F. You can adjust the "Warning" level of each part (HDD, Both cores, and video card, etc.). So, what is a safe running temperature?

Oh, BTW, It doesn't give me a reading on the fan speeds, etc. I think I can live without that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.