Checking my Bandwidth (OS X)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This doesn't have to do with OS X as much as it does my ISP (Comcast 15Mbps/3Mbps Down/Up). Comcast states you get speeds "Up to" those advertised which basically means you will never get those speeds but once in a blue moon it could happen.

I've been watching my Router activity for a few minutes (see Top graph of the attached image) and I never get near either of those advertised speeds as expected. I am downloading Xcode DMG from Apple and a few torrents are running with no bandwidth restrictions.

My question is currently I'm getting about 50% of my advertised bandwidth, if I reduced down to the 1.5 Mbps Comcast package would I probably still only get 50% of that bandwidth? I think I already know the answer but was curious what you guys thought.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It depends is Comcast playing nasty or do you simply leave so far away from the nearest server or whatever it is so that it cannot provide more than what you're getting. I would contact Comcast and ask what is the situation, why aren't you getting full speed

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I live right in the middle of San Francisco so I can't imagine I'm too far away from any Comcast server. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has the 1.5 Mbps service and what sort of consistent download speed do you get from a big server like Apple or a fast torrent.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's what I thought too. I live in quite populated area in Helsinki and the nearest ISP server is 3km away, causing my 24Mb/s to be capped at around 6-7Mb/s. My mate lives 1km away from that server and he is getting ~18Mb/s. You should ask from someone in your neighborhood with 1.5Mb/s

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

srsly?

I live 50 miles from the server, yes there is only one, I pay for 15/15 but get like 25/50
    but that's not comcast of course.