Checking performance of AC Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gman901, Jun 20, 2013.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

This may have already been posted, I apologize, however I am not sure how to determine the performance of my new router in conjunction with my new MBA 2013. When I choose the Airport Utility, I just get a diagram of my connection to my router and some IP addresses. I have 5 full bars showing I have a strong connection to my router, but the connection sucks. I have to keep refreshing Safari to get back online. The Linksys E2500 N Router that I bought for $80 last year was connecting better than my new router. I am thinking that I may not be connected to the AC band, but I don't know how to tell? Can someone please help me?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you alt-click the wifi icon in your menu bar, you will get a lot more info on your current connection.

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool! That definitely helps! It appears I am connected to 802.11N. Do you know how I can connect to the faster AC band?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to confirm, you have one of the new tower Apple AC routers? I have one and a new Air and it connects as AC without doing anything special. Looking in Airport Utility I don't even see a setting to turn off AC, so I can't see what you might have done wrong. :confused:

5. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the new small tower AC router from Apple that just came out with a new 2013 Air. I think part of my problem may be the reception of my home office since I have the AC router sitting in a closet next to the cable modem, while my office is on the 2nd floor diagonal to the router (maybe 25 feet separating the signal). I figured the beam signal tech would help improve my connection, but I guess not. Is there a way to manually force my Wifi Card to connect to the AC band?

6. crisg macrumors member

Does your laptop change to the AC band when you move closer to the modem?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I did a test yesterday in another thread and mine stayed on AC through three interior walls and an exterior wall at the far end of my backyard. About 50 feet total away from the router. :confused:

Like crisg mentioned, will it grab AC if you stand close to the router?

8. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I just moved right next to it and it stays at 802.11n and the 2.4Mhz band. I tried turning the wifi off and on, but no change. I don't get it. I know my Air has the Haswell processor, so they all come with the built in AC wifi card, right? The other thing I don't get is how can I be getting a full 5 bars connected, yet my internet seems to connect and disconnect constantly. Wouldn't the bars start fluctuating when losing connection?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

All 2013 MBAs have AC. Are you positive you have a 2013?

Click the Apple at the top left of the screen then look in About this Mac, More info, then System Info. Click the Wi-fi section like in my screenshot and make sure it shows AC support.

If you have a 2013 MBA and the new Airport Extreme, you should connect at AC. Maybe try a factory default reset on the router and see if that helps.

[​IMG]

10. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I think I figured out how to force it to connect to my 5Mhz band. I just had to go to the edit button. I'll try setting it up and see if I can connect to the AC Band.