Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Just recently, I've noticed that Java loads up each time my machine reboots. How would I figure out which application is calling Java, that is, how do I figure out which applications are loaded when my mac reboots? I've already checked the usual places: System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items, and Main Directory -> Library -> StartupItems. Nothing in either of those places needs Java, so what else should I do? I would also like to keep track of which applications/processes are loaded each time my mac reboots, so this is a useful exercise. I've already checked the Console, nothing useful there...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Good on you looking at LoginItems. StartupItems? Nothing is really put there anymore since the move to launchd. These would be obvious as you would see SystemStarter in the logs.

You want to look at:
  1. ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  2. /Library/LaunchAgents
  3. /Library/LaunchDaemons

There will be plists in this folders, they are launchd plists. You will have to determine which one to remove. This may be challenging, since there probably won't be any indication of it "calling" Java as you say.

You will have to find out if it was coded in Java. If you have no luck, a stepped approach may be best. Move them all, drop one in, reboot, check, move out, drop one in, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.