iPad Pro Checking Warranty Coverage with Unactivated iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jetro, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

I bought an iPad on eBay for pretty cheap compared to store prices and it's supposedly a new never used opened box one. I saw the serial number on the back of the box in the pictures the seller had up and went to the warranty status checker on Apple's website and typed it in and it's coming back as not valid. Would it say that because it never went through an actual activation and the warranty hasn't started yet?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    I figured it out, never mind this thread. I deciphered the serial number from the blurred picture on the eBay ad and it comes back as saying you have to sign in to your ID and provide a purchase date (meaning it hasn't started the warranty).

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You should be able to type that serial number into one of the serial number decoding sites. It should at least tell you that is an iPad, and the specific model. It won't tell you about warranty, exactly, but may tell you what the serial number shows for date of manufacture. You're likely correct about the warranty not displaying for an unactivated iPad.