Checklist after Opening the Box

Discussion in 'iMac' started by L3g4to, Mar 26, 2013.

1. L3g4to, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

L3g4to macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yesterday i ordered myself a new imac with vesa. I already ordered one last december but it got canceled (to long story). Now i ordered one with 3-5 delivery Time and it will be here on 9.April o_O? Maby cause of easter...

Mainquestion:
    What should i check after unpacking the imac?
    I read about:

• damage to the aluminium
    • high pitched noise
    • dead pixels in screen
    • Yellow tint screen
    • Bubbles or Dirt under the screen
    • ratting noise out of fan area
    • ghosting of the screen
    • weird clicking/popping noise in a random fashion that appeared to come from the bottom part of the screen and which seemed to move from left to right

Anything else i should check?

2. Chuckstones macrumors regular

Have a spirit level ready to check its not leaning to one side.
    And a magnifying glass to check for tiny black dots in the aluminium!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Turn it on and start using it. You have a 1 year warranty, in case you find any defects in the course of normal use.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

- plug power cabe in
    - press power button
    - voila!

5. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Take a second or two and admire the beauty. :)

After setting her up, plug her in and throw that checklist in the recycling bin.

Don't look for those issues, if it's there than you deal with it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... and celebrate the fact that there is no "recycle bin" in OS X, as there is in Windows! :D

7. Bigtree macrumors 6502

I hate posts like this... All you're doing is borrowing trouble.

Just enjoy it! It is the most beautiful computer on the market!!!

8. L3g4to thread starter macrumors newbie

Why so much hate? Its completely normal that from time to time things get through the quality control. Humans check massive much imacs and humans make mistakes. Its easy to say "just deal with it", i wanna see you buying a brand new car with scratches in the painting and the salesman says "deal with it" ;) whats the big deal in checking the main issues? its better to know them and to check them, if you check them after your warranty you have to pay again. Back to topic please ;)

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

We understand what you're saying. The people here are just telling you to un-box it with a positive outlook, that everything was handled properly on Apple's side and now you can enjoy a brand new machine.

If there's any problems, they should be apparent, more than likely not requiring you to actually search for them before hand.

10. L3g4to thread starter macrumors newbie

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bold, nobody here says deal with it, if there is a big dent in it you have all the right to return it but it is clearly visible.
    Don't go and look for things which you can't see, that is the point most people here are making, enjoy the Mac, that's what they say, if down the road you see something is wrong with it deal with it then, not now even before it is there.
    Stop worrying.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Like most here I agree just enjoy it. When I got mine I to was a little paranoid (I had waited so long and spent so much). I checked the outer case and screen for scratches or defects, checked for dead pixels and left it at that. Been trouble free ever since. If you do have an issue give apple a call. As it was my first Mac I went with AppleCare. If your looking for the piece of mind do the same, but your good for the first year (at least) either way.

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Maybe you should cancel order and buy a mac mini...would take a bunch of issues off your checklist.

14. L3g4to thread starter macrumors newbie

hey i love the machines, but just because i dont see it, doesnt mean its not there ;) (cause sooner or later things will be found (if there was something), and its harder to return a fully loaded system with personal stuff (remember, you have to do it on the next one too :) )

:) so u checked too, see? i just want to make sure too, where is the big deal, spend so much money on that device so i wanna be sure that everything is okay. Thats why i think making a list what to check for can be quite helpful.

2 Years ago i bought myself a new car, had to save up a long time to buy it, i had a full list of things to check befor driving it from the factory. Everything was okay, and i had even a better feeling driving it home.

I know its a slightly different example but can u imagine, if i had not checked the painting outside and after a few weeks i would recognise something?
    I just want to save precious time, returning things immediately is easy but when i have to put all my projekt files forth and back it takes too much time ;)