Checklist for Erase and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JW008, Oct 15, 2007.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

With Leopard right around the corner, I've seen a number of "what do I need to do to erase and install" threads. I guess this is another one.

I thought maybe someone (or someones) who's been through this experience before could set out a checklist of things that need to be backed up, things that need to be on hand, etc. in order to have a successful erase and install.

Basically I'm wondering what does everyone suggest to back up (applications, home folder, etc.?)? What discs do we need (Leopard Install discs, computer restore discs?)? How is everyone planning on doing this?

On a side note, I was personally wondering if when you do an erase and install, you need the original OS X install discs that came with your Mac.

2. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

No, you do not need the original disks. Only the Leopard DVD. (It is of course always important to keep the original disks as you may need them at some point)

I suggest cloning up your entire HDD to another drive, either internal or external firewire, with a utility like SuperDuper (free for cloning) . That way when you install Leopard, you will be able to use your Setup Assistant to port over all the network settings, preferences, third party applications, AddrressBook data, iCal data, the whole enchilada.

I plan to install Leopard on a blank partition of an external firewire drive. Port over all with Setup Assistant. Then, test it throughly on the external. When I'm satisfied that it is set up and running well and that all my apps and peripherals are happy with it, EDIT: Then and only then, would I feel safe to wipe the internal (I'll still have a clone of that on another disk;-) and clone over my 10.5 System.

-mj

3. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

- Back up home folder
    - Purchase Leopard
    - Pop the Leopard DVD into the computer, Erase and Install
    - Move your files back over

Although a much easier way would be to use the Upgrade and Install or Archive and Install features, which both keep your files. The only difference is that Archive and Install will keep a backup of your old system files, in case something goes wrong with Leopard.

4. magnagardner macrumors newbie

is the Home folder really the only thing that needs to be backed up?

5. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure your Applications folder is separate from your Home folder. I plan on reinstalling all my applications from their original discs, but am backing up this folder just in case. As for anything else that's not in your Home folder, I'm not entirely sure.

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Home Folder is where all your stuff is saved. Unless you save stuff in places other than Desktop, Music, Videos, Documents, Public, or Sites. Applications are separate, so get them too if you want.