checklist for installing windows on SSD..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monkeymann, Mar 2, 2009.

1. monkeymann macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    i've recently ordered a new 17" UMPB with 256SSD drive which should arrive shortly..
    i play a lot of online poker so need to get windows installed via bootcamp..
    i'm wondering whicht version of windows (64bit, 32bit, xp or vista??) i should install and which filesystem i need to chose? (NTFS, FAT32 etc)

i've generally always used windows XP as it seems a lot faster but as far as i know, it won't be able to recognise or take advantage of the whole 4gb of ram in the new laptop..

also on a sidenote.. my current laptop seems to have a virus or two on xp but i'm gonna need to transfer a few bits of data from it to the new one (text files, documents and pictures) .. i'm wondering if there's much risk in transferring those files to the new laptop?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Vista, 64-bit, NTFS, and be a little more cautious online if you're getting viruses.

No fear transferring over to OS X but I suggest scanning your files nonetheless. Can you even confirm said malware?

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

That's some poker you're playing there if it needs 4GB:rolleyes:

4. monkeymann thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks, that's pretty much exactly what i was hoping for..

ehh what?
    more ram will help with dealing with the many different clients i use to connect to the various rooms and the even more tables that i play and also help accessing the many different databases i use to keep track of my opponents information.. but maybe it's not nessessary huh? any 2nd hand powerbooks going??

i came here for a little advice on how to adapt to the world of dual-booting, get a grip dude..

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Turn off swap/hiberatnation and turn off windows search. This will save some life on your SSD.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

and he gave you a little advice. if you can't handle the odd snarky comment what are you doing online?

7. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Exactly! Anyway, a faster internet connection will be more beneficial to you than more RAM. I guarantee you you aren't maxing out in the RAM department. The SSD shouldn't help too much either because it is online. Correct me if I am wrong.

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Actually, the way I see it, even 1GB would more than suffice to help online poker games.

9. monkeymann thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, 1gb is sufficient for your online poker usage.. marvelous.. however, this thread is not about you, or your needs..

Eidorian; nice one, i'll try n' get my hands on a 64bit version of vista before the arrival.. cheers..

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

dude, what is your problem? RAM is a scarce resource, take only as much as you absolutely need, leave the rest for others doing important work. It's just this sort of greed that will cause RAM to go extinct.

11. cokedrinker macrumors member

The poker client itself may not require greater than 1gb of ram, but the massive tracking database certainly does. Alot of poker players will have massive postgresql dbs - mines currently at 30gigs :/
    The 4GB ram + SSD will certainly be very beneficial here, when running queries etc.

Also another thing!!!! When you buy Vista 64bit, you only get the 32bit disc in the box. You have to then send away for the 64bit disc!!! and format / install windows again!

12. goMac macrumors 603

Are you sure about that? I have Vista 64 and they were both on the same disk...

13. cokedrinker macrumors member

Yes, for the retail version anyway. Says on the box that you will have to contact microsoft for the 64bit disc, and microsoft have a page that deals with that. Maybe its different on the oem verions, or maybe its just australia.