Checks needed before buying used Macbook from craigslist.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesbond426, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jamesbond426 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 15" 2.7 GHZ Macbook retina with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD from craigslist. The laptop is about 4 weeks old, has 12 battery cycles and comes with a 3 year applecare. It comes with the box and the original receipt and it's costing me 2300.

Do you think it's a good deal?

With me having never used a Mac, am unfamiliar with the checks that need to be made before purchasing it. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

My only advice is if you decide to do the deal:

- take a friend with you
    - do the deal at an Apple store or police station lot
    - go armed if you're licensed

Too many stories of Craigslist deals going sour here lately.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

So you'd be saving $500 on the computer, $350 on the AppleCare and the tax on the total amount.

That would be a terrific deal for you - but insane for the seller. No reason to sell it for such a low price, especially considering he could have had a full refund just two weeks ago.

Truth is, it's worth maybe $100-200 off the total price originally paid including all taxes. Vendor should have no trouble getting that, so why give you almost $1000 off?

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Care to link the thread? Tried searching and only found a couple iPhone threads.

5. jamesbond426 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I will take the necessary precautions. However, what checks should be made to see if the laptop is working properly and if it is as specified?

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Didn't necessarily mean here on MR only. Just Google something like bad Craigslist deals/experiences and you get info from all over.

Lots of folks swear by CL and I'm only stating my opinion.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You can check specs on the Apple menu "About This Mac"

Attached Files:

8. jamesbond426 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    How should i check what display(LG or Samsung) it's using?
    If it comes out to be LG, should i walk away or should i take my chances as it has warranty and AppleCare?
    Should anything be done to transfer Apple warranty and AppleCare?

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

offer him a cigarette if he accepts just walk away apple wont service or repair a computer from smokers

10. outphase macrumors 65816

That doesn't mean he smokes around his computer. Apple won't service computers where the smoke has infiltrated the insides of the computer, not because the owner is smoker.

11. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Turn it on.

12. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

You should be able to boot into the Apple Hardware Test on most recent Macs (except the 2013 Airs)...hold down D while rebooting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you could have them run a diagnostic at the Genius Bar (make an appointment) before you buy it. I've heard that as a common thing for used Macs (just be polite).