Checksum question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SkVan, Jun 6, 2016.

1. SkVan Suspended

Since Mavericks is no longer offered by Apple (either free of paid), I had a friend ask her classmate to upload a copy for me since she has it tied to her Mac App Store account.

If the MD5 and SHA256 hashes match with the hashes of the legit download, can I be assured that the OS X installer has not been tampered with and is safe?

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Correct.

3. SkVan thread starter Suspended

Thanks.

Are you aware of any reports of OS X itself being compromised by malware by hackers through modified downloads?

Like, could an infected OS X image compromise a Mac's BIOS/EFI (whatever it's called, the boot) or would it only compromise the install of OS X (which could then be amended by a wipe+clean install)?

Cheers.

4. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

That would be a huge breakthrough to be able to beat the MD5 and hashes of the OS X installation. I'm not aware of any compromise of that sort and don't expect it to be a big issue as the majority of OS X installation come from the App Store to the users.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

MD5 is broken since 2005. SHA-256 and SHA-512 are the current standards for cryptographic file checksums.