Cheeky upgrade, 8Gb to 16Gb O2 UK - Would this work ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by synner, Jul 20, 2008.

1. synner macrumors member

synner

Hi all,

I upgraded from iPhone 1 to 3G on Friday 11th. I got the 8Gb, I thought that would be fine as my old iPhone was 8Gb and I coped ok.

However I'm now running out of space (mainly due to the App store !), I emailed O2 asking if I could upgrade to the 16Gb in any way and was given a rather rude and flat "no"...

BUT, My wife is on O2 and is now due an upgrade, having chatted with her she is willing to order a 16Gb 3G and swap for my 8Gb when it arrives, what I was wondering is..

1) Would this be possible ? - I assume that restoring my current 8Gb and then swapping the SIMs over would work ?

2) Is there any reason this wouldn't work ?

3) Has anyone else done something like this ?

Thanks

Bri

2. thfcpoole macrumors newbie

3. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'm doing it. I couldn't get hold of a white 16GB for love nor money and God knows I tried both! My husband is getting an iPhone when/if the dust settles and he'll get a white one so we can swap.

It's no problem at all to do. Synch your 8GB, put your sim in the new phone and synch. It'll ask if you want to back up from the previous phone. Then get your wife to restore the old phone and start anew.

Probably grandmother and egg sucking there, sorry!

4. synner thread starter macrumors member

synner

Thanks guys and gals !

I appreciate the responses, looks like this is the best option for getting a 16Gb then (other than waiting for the pay and go option and spending a small fortune !)

Bri

5. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

They are making everything so difficult. But yes I believe it should work as the others have said.

6. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

as long as the iPhone has been activated you can use any O2 sim

For any upgraded 8gb iPhone 3G'ers, if u can persuade it mate to take get an iPhone,get them to get the 16gb and swap! I was gonna to this but was able to upgrade to a 16gb on launch day

7. dnenciu macrumors member

I just have a question:

What apps did you put on your iphone that you ran out of space?

I ask because I have the 8gb and thinking if I should return it and get the 16gb.

Most apps are under <10mb and large games ~50mb so you must have loaded a lot of apps.

Dragos.

8. synner thread starter macrumors member

synner

Hi,

I aready had 11Gb of music which I've whittled down to 6Gb, obviously the 8Gb iPhone only has 7.1Gb available....

I have 600Mb of "Other" which I think includes installed apps and as you can see I don't have a huge amount left !

I think that apps will gradually get more and more complex and in depth and consequently larger. Also, If I want to put a movie or TV show on there at any point I'm stuffed !

Bri

9. dnenciu macrumors member

Yeah I guess you are right I don't really use my iphone for music as I have desktops everywhere I go and on the road I usually drive so I can listen to the radio/cd. I think that's the major factor for me.

Also if I return mine I have to wait 5-6 days for them to receive it back and than hope they have the 16gb in stock if not more waiting :)

Also I will probably upgrade in 1-2y so less money now is less lost when I upgrade.