Cheers to apple regarding my mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trup522, Sep 1, 2009.

1. trup522 macrumors newbie

So I bought a 13" macbook pro last wednesday. On Friday I noticed a dead pixel on the right side of the screen. Now I am a bit ocd when it comes to screens, and I could not stop fixating on that single pixel, it drove me insane. I went online to find ways to possibly fix a dead pixel but nothing worked. I also read that Apple would not replace a screen if there were less than 4 (i think) dead/stuck pixels on the screen. Needless to say I was not happy and was about to the point where I had to do something. I read that I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee to return the laptop and then purchase a different one. At this point I just didn't care, I would pay the fee. I made a genius appointment and drove the hour or so out to my apple store. Told the genius what I wanted to do with returning it, and he told me that he would not only waive the restocking fee, but replace the laptop and included snow leopard for free. Not only that but this new mbp's battery is a lot better than my previous. I've never been so happy with a company, and after reading most of the negative posts here, I figured I would throw out something that was positive.

2. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I think that most people agree that Apple as a company goes above and beyond the call when it comes to "making things right." Their hardware has some problems (maybe even more problems than top-tier non-Apple hardware), but their customer service is really exemplary.

3. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Yes apple are probably one of the best companies for customer relations.

But then again, when you pay a premium for a product you almost expect it.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

almost? Try DEFINITELY.

But yeah, I've always been overly satisfied with Apple's support.

i.e. - replacing my water damaged iPhone 3G with a new one for free, even after running the water damage test and having it come back positive.

5. Boiler macrumors regular

Similar question. One dead pixel, but not exchange or repair offered

I have one dead pixel on an early 2009 unibody macbook pro 17"

I called and was told it needs to have 5 dead pixels before it can be replaced or at least two dead pixels before considering an exception.

I bought this as a built to order on the online apple store.
    I bought the apple care extended warranty but it is still only 8 months old anyway, within the first year complimentary one year warranty.

I've called the technical support and they told me to wait for weekdays to call customer/sales relations.

I did not by this at my closest Apple store 60 miles away.
    Can that store help anyway even though I bought it online?

Any advice how to get a screen replaced for one dead pixel?

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Call up Customer Relations and explain your situation. If it's 8 months old, it's doubtful they're going to do anything though :(.

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

Can't hurt to try, maybe AC will send you a box to ship it off in.