Chef could use some help with website!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Astronomix, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Astronomix macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'd be really grateful if anyone could take a look at the new website for my deli and provide any feedback you think could be useful.

We're celebrating 25 years in business this year so I thought we'd mark the occasion with a fresh site but I'm a chef - not a web designer - and it's been quite a challenge.

Everything front-end is my own work. The photo's, the graphics, the design, the copy and it's all based on a Wordpress theme. Coding is still slightly beyond me!

It's not quite finished and I've got some translation still to do (I'm English but my business is in Spain). So any advice you could offer before launch would be much appreciated.

Here's the site: www.lacocottelpgc.com

Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Visually it looks nice, although it does seem to be overwhelming in terms of how much content is on the front page. Anything important should be immediately visible in the browser window, and anything else should probably be on another page, except for page footers and less important things like that. Obviously you have to take into account differing window sizes due to screen resolutions, but on my 13" MBP, I'd have to choose to scroll down to see about 2/3 of the content on that first page.

As I said, though I wouldn't change much in the visual theme of the page, it looks quite nice!

jW

3. Astronomix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mal. That's really useful advice and I think you could well be right. I'll look at addressing the busy-ness of the front page.

Anyone else any thoughts?

4. 960design macrumors 68000

Beautiful site!

I agree, the footer is too busy. It clutters the most important information on this page: your business hours and address!

IMHO I'd move the Menu up to where the Tweets are. A Greeting up to Recent Posts and that would be all for the footer.

Everything else ( in the footer ) should be moved to its own page or combined, for example 'Subscribe to our newsletter' moved to the About Us page.

I'm only making very minor suggestions, if your food is better than your web design then I'm stopping by your restaurant the next time I'm over your way.... wait you are not on the mainland.... wow very beautiful! I've never been there. Guess I have to plan a trip. You, sir, are added to my places to sail to.

just me

5. Astronomix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks 960! You're very kind.

I definitely need to look again at the footer but currently in "Change URL and Server" hell so tweaks will have to next week.