Cheques, Banks & Barclays UK Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nintendolinky, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Hi guys.
    Im planning on getting a macbook pro on monday, but i really want it tomorrow. I know im impatient and i cant wait.
    My question is im with Barclays with a student account and i have 80 quid in the account. I get the money to pay for my macbook pro on Monday, but i would like to know would i be able to pay for the laptop tomorrow and let my account go overdrawn for it then to be paid on Monday. I know i will get charged, i would like to know if it will go through fine and it wont get declined. If thats not an option will i be able to pay via cheque in an apple store, preferably the Birmingham Bullring Store.
    Thanks for any help.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I would be surprised if you can find any shop to accept a cheque - especially one for over £1000.

Why are you buying instore anyway ?

HE discount (since you are a student) and buy online or over the phone for the 3 year warranty that you don't get instore...

I don't think AppleStore accept cheques and even if they did it would be for items below the £100 limit...

3. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Im getting the discount instore at 15% over the phone its only 13% im also planning on getting apple care as i want the phone support and the extras apple care gives people. I just really want it tomorrow. Will the payment go through, so it goes onto my uncleared balance, obviously overdrawn by alot but then go onto my cleared balance on monday as its the next working day.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Barclays allow a couple of day's grace period I think. Whether that's for student accounts too, I don't know.

Problem is, that if you're paying in a cheque it's likely to take 4 or 5 days to clear. That might be a bit long for this £1000 hole to sit in your account.

5. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you reckon i could pay via card then. its a visa debit card and will have the money in on Monday. I just dont want to go and pay for the laptop only for it then to be declined. or do they accept cheques. which would be better. if i pay via cheque and they let payments via cheque the money will be in my bank.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres no major retail store in the UK that will accept a cheque for £1000 because they will require you to have a cheque guarantee card and no cards are vaild up to £1000! the max is £500. You can check this by looking at the back of your card and seeing if theres a shiny hologram with a number, usually £100, £200 or £500.
    http://www.askcab.co.uk/money_site/mguaranteea.asp

However its possible you can pay for your Macbook Pro by card, or just withdraw the cash out of your bank account over the counter? however i heard the student loans maybe payed slightly late this year depending which council is paying them and where you live, so dont count your chickens just yet. Plus the Macbook Pro range may get an update on Tuesday at Macworld!

:)

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, but you're planning to pay with something that will remove money quickly from your account (the card) and the money into your account will go slowly (by cheque) - so it'll be the best part of a week that you're in debt.

There's no way that you'll have a cheque accepted at an Apple store (or any other shop).

If I were you, I'd consider going into your local Barclays bank on Saturday morning to ask. They may be able to set something on their computer to give you a few days grace. Otherwise you may find that your debit card won't authorise that sort of payment anyway.

8. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked my account online and looks like ive been paid today (saturday) wooop here comes the apple store, first thing in the morning.