Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I really LOVE my Apple Watches!

That being said I have noticed that when I go mountain biking and/or Weight Lifting (activities that cause a lot of Arm/body movement).

I go to check my heart rate and at times my BPM is at 57. I then have to take the watch off my wrist and wipe the sweat off and reattach and I am good to go for the moment.

Stopping to do that kills the moment so I pulled out my POLAR 57 strap out of my drawer and attach it to my watch and the readings are rock solid.

I know it is extreme but I hate to lose calories when the heart monitor is out of order.

I notice it mostly when doing extreme mountain biking and I am making a lot of jerking movements.

I am wondering if I am the only one?

Ps. I wear my watch using my nike strap very tightly about an inch away from my wrist.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
You might want to take a look at Twelve South's Action Sleeve. It's an arm band for your Apple Watch. I have one that I wear for kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, the gym, most heavy exercise. It works quite well. https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/actionsleeve

it's a good solution.

I do like having a watch on my arm for the time and other apps and since I had a polar strap (used it mostly for the cardio equipment at the HC).

midloman

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Midllothian, VA
it's a good solution.

I do like having a watch on my arm for the time and other apps and since I had a polar strap (used it mostly for the cardio equipment at the HC).

You are not the only one. I use the watch in the gym (cardio, weights) and I got tired of seeing periodic dropouts. I also started using the Polar chest strap and the issue is no longer an issue.

I also have a Rhythm+ HR monitor, the one that goes on your forearm. I've started using that recently, and it works just as well. I think I prefer it; I was never a complete fan of wearing the chest strap. Always knew it was there, more so than I do the Rhythm+. And the Rhythm+ looks cooler. :)

Reactions: ZebraDude

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
You might want to take a look at Twelve South's Action Sleeve. It's an arm band for your Apple Watch. I have one that I wear for kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, the gym, most heavy exercise. It works quite well. https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/actionsleeve
I bought this and I found that I don't like to wear it up around my bicep as it feels too constricting. So I use it on my forearm, which works pretty well most of the time, except on occasion when it loosens up and slips down.

Sometimes I still get low reading in the 50s which are completely off and that is annoying. Not sure if that is just a watch issue or what. Maybe a reset will fix that too?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
As @midioman above noted as well I've had VERY good results with the Scosche Rhythm+ forearm monitor. It is MUCH more comfortable than a chest strap, portable too and gives very good results. They can be found on ebay for about 40$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.