Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GM today at Detroit's North American International Auto Show showcased the upcoming 2016 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, and as spotted by The Verge, the latest Volt model includes an option for CarPlay as well as MirrorLink in the vehicle's entertainment system settings.

chevy-volt-2016.png
2016 Chevy Volt in-dash entertainment system by The Verge
GM was listed as a CarPlay partner when the technology was announced in early 2014, but the company was not expected to incorporate CarPlay into its automobiles right away. Almost one year after the announcement, GM appears to finally be bringing CarPlay to its automobile lineup starting with the 2016 Volt, although the new model is not expected to go on sale to the public until the second half of this year.

Chevrolet has previously been involved in CarPlay demonstrations, but the upcoming second-generation Volt looks to the be first production vehicle with the feature built-in.

GM's CarPlay unveiling follows similar CarPlay announcements from Volkswagen and Hyundai, both of which used CES to showcase their CarPlay-enabled in-dash entertainment systems. CarPlay also is expanding in the aftermarket automobile receiver market with Parrot, Kenwood and Pioneer recently unveiling new CarPlay in-dash receivers.

Article Link: Chevrolet's Upcoming 2016 Volt Plug-in Hybrid Spotted With CarPlay Integration

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
really? i was critical of apple maps on rollout like most everyone, but haven't had an issue for quite a while now. what makes apple maps useless?

this - I exclusively use Apple Maps since quite some time now, without any issue (early days are a different story - but I guess too many people didn't give it a second try - and it is more convenient to keep bashing it). Maybe it is different in other parts of the country ....

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
CarPlay is worthless if you can only use Apple Maps.

if it only uses Apple Maps, then it definitely diminishes it's value ... I would not classify it as useless, maybe just to some people like you who doesn't use Apple Maps.

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
CarPlay is worthless if you can only use Apple Maps.

I'll second this. Been almost 2 years since a major roadway revision occurred in my hometown, I've sent countless reports to Apple, and the location in the Maps app is still not corrected. I simply don't trust it.

really? i was critical of apple maps on rollout like most everyone, but haven't had an issue for quite a while now. what makes apple maps useless?

Just a few days ago, we had a very typical need for map guidance- a high school "away game" sporting event. Punched in "Inlet Grove High School, Riviera Beach, FL" Maps took us right to the West Palm Beach School Bus Depot, missing the actual location by about 3 miles.

Recently in D.C., I wanted a map to Dulles Airport so I typed in Dulles Airport Washington DC. Again, this seems like a very typical, seemingly very popular point to target in an App like Maps. Pop open Maps right now and try it. On my Mac, it thinks I want to go to "Dulles Airport Taxi" missing the actual airport by 27.8 miles. Again, try it right now and see for yourself.

Good for you that you haven't had Maps issues. For me, I foolishly keep trusting the default and finding myself not arriving at the intended destination. I know many of "us" feel an almost obligation to defend Apple in every way possible but I don't know how people can actually defend Maps like it's locating capabilities are fixed now. If you really have had no such issues for a while, good for you. I wish I was as lucky.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Recently in D.C., I wanted a map to Dulles Airport so I typed in Dulles Airport Washington DC. Again, this seems like a very typical, seemingly very popular point to target in an App like Maps. Pop open Maps right now and try it. On my Mac, it thinks I want to go to "Dulles Airport Taxi" missing the actual airport by 27.8 miles. Again, try it right now and see for yourself.

Erm, you should have a look at the map first, you know, an airport has at least 1 or more runways.
Easy to see that on a map. :rolleyes:

(Just had a look at that airport, it has 4 runways)

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Just a few days ago, we had a very typical need for map guidance- a high school sporting event. Punched in "Inlet Grove High School, Riviera Beach, FL" Maps took us right to the West Palm Beach School Bus Depot, missing the actual location by about 3 miles.

Good for you that you haven't had Maps issues. For me, I foolishly keep trusting the default and finding myself not arriving at the intended destination. I know many of "us" feel an almost obligation to defend Apple in every way possible but I don't know how people can actually defend Maps like it's locating capabilities are fixed now. If you really have had no such issues for a while, good for you. I wish I was as lucky.

I just did it... no problem here...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Herndon_—_Fairfax_County.jpg
    Herndon_—_Fairfax_County.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 7,831

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
I like apple maps but I still prefer my iOS tom Tom app because it shows the speed limit. I really wish it was integrated as a speed limiter into the cruise control of my car.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
GM today at Detroit's North American International Auto Show showcased the upcoming 2016 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, and as spotted by The Verge, the latest Volt model includes an option for CarPlay as well as MirrorLink in the vehicle's entertainment system settings.

2016 Chevy Volt in-dash entertainment system by The Verge
GM was listed as a CarPlay partner when the technology was announced in early 2014, but the company was not expected to incorporate CarPlay into its automobiles right away. Almost one year after the announcement, GM appears to finally be bringing CarPlay to its automobile lineup starting with the 2016 Volt, although the new model is not expected to go on sale to the public until the second half of this year.

Why is this called 2016 .... while it is released in 2015, don't get it when companies name their product a year more than the actual release date.

Erm, you should have a look at the map first, you know, an airport has at least 1 or more runways.
Easy to see that on a map. :rolleyes: (Just had a look at that airport, it has 4 runways)

Yeah OR perhaps Apple Maps could see both Dulles Airport and Dulles Airport Taxi and prioritize it's guess at the target (guessing the one that probably most(?) people would be trying to map vs. a local cab company. :rolleyes: ) Or offer both options so that I could choose without having to look for runways?

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA

Um, I always just type in either Dulles Airport or Dulles International Airport and have never had an issue...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I see Audi, not sure about the others, has the best solution so far as it has both the Apple and Android systems integrated, as it says your phone should NOT dictate the car you buy!

But it was interesting in the Audi CES Demo to see the phones SatNav being used on the cars screens, instead of any built in system on the car. I certainly think it's about time we had these things integrate.

Um, I always just type in either Dulles Airport or Dulles International Airport and have never had an issue...

Maybe you can publish the search terms YOU use and we can all type in those exact words & phrases so we'll "never have an issue" with Apple Maps?

I've had more success giving Maps both a destination name + city, state, except in some cases like those I've referenced. Note, I don't have much care for this ONE issue but I offered up 2 that just happened to me lately in response to the usual spin of "no issues anymore" in threads like this. There are many more. As a business traveler, I did manage to catch the first error that occurred when I tried typing in just "Washington Airport". Had I not paid attention to that one, I'd have gone to an entirely different airport far from Dulles (again, try it yourself).

The mistake that I keep making is trying to trust the default rather than double check with Google Maps. When both align, it's likely to be there. When they differ, I've learned to go with the Google option and it will let me down less often. I guess I keep hoping or assuming "it just works" preferring to get to where I want to go with the default rather than have to take the extra steps of opening & using Google Maps.

The good news is that Apple appears to be getting more serious (finally). Barely a month ago, there's word of some hiring efforts to add some talent to the Maps team and start actually using crowdsourced corrections again: http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/04/apple-maps-crowdsourcing-siri-passbook-feedback/ Of course, I doubt they could have made that hire, implemented amazing solutions so that Maps could work flawlessly for all barely 6 weeks later.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.