Chevy with a Million Miles on Ebay

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A 1992 Chevy pickup used as a delivery truck has racked up over a million miles and is being sold on ebay as a collector's piece. The starting bid - $29,999. :eek:

I had to break out the calculator widget and play around. Assuming it has one of the small V8s, was kept in good condition, mostly drove on the highway and got 16.5mpg, that vehicle has burned over 62,000 gallons of 87-octane during its life.

It went through 5 transmissions, so that averages something like 200,000 miles per transmission - not bad.

Not the first car to see a million miles of course. I believe the first according to the Guiness Book of Records was a Volkswagen Beetle.

I was at a junkyard the other day and they had a bunch of Mercedes 240D and 300D diesel sedans. They all had over 200,000 miles on the clock and many were over 300,000. I'll bet plenty of those have approached the million-mile mark.

2. ShaneR macrumors member

hah that is ridiculous. I had a friend with a 92' volvo (forget the model) with 360,000 miles with no engine repairs or transmission repairs. I currently have a 95' 2wd 4 cylinder ranger with 230,000 miles. I don't drive it anymore as it sits at my parents house but the only thing to ever go bad was the transmission at 190,000.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I had a Thunderbird that had about 110,000 miles when my dad gave it to me for a graduation present. Mostly road miles. It was in excellent condition. Loved that car.

Well, a few months later all my friends were steam cleaning their cars and fixing them up. Worst mistake ever. My car was happy being dirty. Cleaning it up lead to a bunch of problems. Go figure. :eek:

That T-Bird got better mileage at 75 mph than it did at 55 mph.

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My old '86 Toyota pickup clocked about 180,000 before I got rid of it. My next car (another Toyota pickup) made it to 140,000 before I gave it to my brother. He took it to 165,000 before the timing chain snapped last week. :mad:

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife and I had a 1994 Honda Civic that had 337,295 miles on it when we donated it to Easter Seals. The only work ever done on the car was a water pump replacement at 179,000 miles, brakes and front axles around 210,000 - Solid little car.

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm assuming it had its timing belt replaced twice? if not, it's a bomb with a lit fuse. :eek: It must have though, I don't think it's possible to take a car that many miles on the original timing belt.

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Thats a spectacular distance (especially from american an made car), but i don't think i would be selling it on Ebay as a collectors item.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One would think Carfax would have a lot more info on the car than this.

Attached Files:

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's a pretty sparse report, to be sure.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

There was a Lincoln on CNN the other day that had over a million miles as well, and I think I remember reading a report of a SAAB reaching over a million and it's in like the SAAB museum now or something.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The reason the starting bid is $29,999.99 is someone playing a practical joke.

Everyone knows such a vehicle is not worth that much. Blue book value is under $1000. Thus I thought it was pretty smart and funny for the guy to get teased. Haha, 1 penny below the reserve, so close and so far away.

12. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think so - ebay encourages this kind of profiteering. Remember the Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwich?

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

See, the starting bid was not 30k. The only bidder intentionally bid 1 cent below the reserve.

Page had enough views, but no other bidders becaue the car is not worth anything.

Now if he said something like, the vision of virgin mary came upon me in my dream and said you must drive a million miles (and if the user makes toasted the seat and make it look like a religious figure), then it might have sold.

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, drag religion into it and all bets are off.

I agree it isn't worth $30k. Hell, it isn't worth $3k. It's a 17 year-old TMU Silverado!

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Am I the only one who saw the title, read the thread, and had that episode of Married with Children flash before their eyes?

BL.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

"dodge is a good car... ran over my wife with a dodge..."

18. nslyax macrumors regular

19. covisio macrumors 6502

Million miles plus

This is the highest mileage private car:
    www.carpages.co.uk
    Especially impressive since he lives in New York and the car is kept outside all year round.

20. mchlhannah8 macrumors newbie

200,000 miles..wow...

21. macwall macrumors 6502

i'm going to rack up a chevy on a treadmill and get this going

22. dilailamams macrumors member