Chheck this out!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by groovdudeyo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

2. macmike22 macrumors regular

Bare in mind.. you're asking a forum of (mainly) Mac users + fans what they think about a WINDOWS laptop, you're gonna get some biased results.
    Its a nice laptop and the specs are fine but the main issue is the OS for me. Having just (about 2 days ago) converted to mac, I'm really glad i switched. The OS is swimmingly fantastic, vista.. mehh not so great.

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I played with that laptop. It is gorgeous and well built. It does have better hardware than the Macbook and hardware wise you get more for the money. I would buy it today if it had OS X. That is really the only reason I buy Mac's. Take that away and it is bye bye Apple for me.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is a 16.4" laptop for a start. So you can't really compare it to the MB.

That said it is a nice laptop if only it could run OSX on it somehow.

5. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Now, I'm no fanboi or anything, but I seriously don't like that laptops looks...The Power Button and hinge is not nice :(

Also my friend has a similar Vaio, and, though it may not be the caswe with this one, but with his, the marketing shots didn't show that it gets much thicker than the edge on the underside for some reason.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Oops..I think you're looking for sonypcrumors.com.

7. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

err thats not really funny I wasnt looking for support to get that one I was looking for reasons to get a macbook and reasons why.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Honestly Apple's saving grace in my opinion is their OS X and software as I said earlier. I used the link you provided and for less than $1600 you can get a monster of a laptop with Bluray, more power, and all sorts of cool hardware. I tested it at the mall a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with how it looked and the quality of the build.

Why buy a Mac? OS X Take that away and Apple isn't all that. If you can live without OS X and then that Sony is a hell of a laptop for the price.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you want to run Mac OS X, get a MacBook (Pro).

If you want to run Windows Vista (or XP), get the Sony.

If you want to run OS X and Vista (or XP), get a MacBook (Pro).

10. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Okay then for all of you who have tried leopard and vista is there tha huge of a difference? I mean like someone said already for the same price as a macbook I can get a Hell of a sony laptop. and cnet rates os x an 8/10 and vista a 7.5/10.

11. kubricks macrumors member

My situation is that I was waiting for the new Macbooks. I needed firewire and did not want to pay for a Macbook Pro.

I also looked at the FW-290. Spec wise it's kills the Mac lineup aside from video (it's close). Cost is less than a Macbook. Looks nice too. Problem is, you are not only stuck with Vista, but Sony fills these things with so much bloat and onboard programs you have to spend a day just uninstalling them.

You also can't install Vista from scratch, only the Sony OEM build w/ the bloat. Also no XP. Not even sure how an upgrade to Windows 7 would work, because they don't provide the drivers for the hardware.

I bought a black macbook refurb. I will wait till the dust settles with the firewire issue and in the meantime I skip a rev. A product, and likely will jump in on the Pro or aluminum Macbook once they get a spec update.

The black is an awesome deal right now, especially if you need FW like I do.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

As my signature states I have both Vista and OS X on my Macbook. I like Vista especially after they fixed some of the problems they had initially with it. It isn't that bad. That being said I love OS X.

The question you are asking is really a one in which is a personal choice. Kind of like asking someone if they prefer a Whitebook or Blackbook with the same specs. Each person has their own tastes.

Most on here will bash Vista and praise OS X. That is to be expected though. It is a Mac message board. Mess with both OS's and pick which one you like best.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Actually you can order it without all that bloatware from Sony for free. I just messed with the site he linked and it is an option.

14. fozzyblob macrumors newbie

Yes it is higher spec, however it takes more to run vista as it is a processor and memory whore. So in spending all that money it still wouldn't run as quick as a macbook and as stable.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Spec wise it isn't similar. The Sony is way better on the specs. No comparison there. Add some of their option power wise and other hardware and you still get a lot more for less. OS X is where it loses in my opinion and only there.

16. timestoby macrumors 6502

they do look nice,but i like the sonys with the 11' screen with the macbook keyboard style.

17. fozzyblob macrumors newbie

Yeah, that was my point, it is a better computer, spec wise, however it is running Vista, which just whores up that power which causes it to run slower than what OS X does on a standard MacBook.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I hate that I'm defending Vista, but it isn't as much as a resource hog as you are making out. I got it on my Windows partition and yes it takes up more resources than OS X, but it isn't such a big deal. Heck you can add 4GB's to the Sony for $100 and can do it yourself probably for much less. 4GB on Vista runs great.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you get a Macbook, you can run both. If you look at it that way, you pay say $1500 for the Mac, $100 for Vista, or $1600 total. That's 2 computers for $800 each.

20. subq macrumors member

and now you know one of the reasons why apple only allows osx on their hardware...they are a hardware company and make good money on that front...and I imagine there are a ton of people like you and I that would jump ship to other hardware if we could legally run osx on it...the only reason I have a mac is for osx, period, and everytime I buy apple hardware I am reminded of how much I hate paying their markup on hardware

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Do you know what site you're on?
    Macrumors.

And there is a huge diffence between OS X Leopard and Vista.

22. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Did anyone even build a sony to spec similar to your MB? My 2.4 Ghz aluminum came to less than $200 more than a similarly spec'd sony. I will GLADLY pay $200 to have a reliable, fast computer. My last pc was a sony laptop. Effing terrible. Never again.

23. subq macrumors member

if you don't know why you need a mac or osx, then go for more power and get a windows machine

I run osx, vista, xp, ubuntu, etc, etc... on my macbook, if I didn't know why I needed osx then I would not hesitate to get more powerful hardware for the same price and run windows.

Vista isn't that bad now and I think windows 7 will end up being just as solid as xp pro is (and it is an extremely solid OS).

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I just did. 2.4 Ghz 4GB with Bluray and with bloatware taken out for less than $1400. Bump it up to 2.53 Ghz and it is still $50 less than the 2.4 new alu Macbook with Bluray, bigger and nicer screen (you can get their 13'3 screen version that weighs 4.14 pounds which is less than the current Macbook) for the same price, and get 4GB instead of the standard 2GB on the new 2.4 Macbook Pro photo/video software, ect.. Plus they give you XP disks if you don't want Vista. Nice laptop. Add OS X and I'm in.

25. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo