Chi Mei

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ftbps macrumors member

Hello All,

I have seen mixed feelings about Chi Mei display panel. I know it is a bit dull compared to the LG panel.

Are theer any serious issues with Chi Mei. It is in any way better than teh LG screen? I am just concerned that it is not as bright as teh LG screen. Is there a software fix?

Shall I get MBP replaced just for teh screen? I only notice difference when I keep LC and Chi Mei side-by-side. Otherwise my eyes get adjusted to it.

Thanks,
    BPN

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

That is the panel I have and I would never refer to it as dull. Many people with both have said they calibrate out about the same.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Could someone please tell me how to check which panel I have? How do you know if you have Chi-Mei?

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Look for a thread about posting your late 08 MBP calibration profiles. That has tons of great info about how to find that info out, along with good profiles to download for your display.

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Ive read about people have both good and bad luck with both displays found in the new MBPs. I personally have the Chi Mei screen and love it. It's extremely bright and crisp..

6. allanibanez macrumors regular

another vote for the chi mei from me.Initially i was annoyed i had got the "worse" of the two screens, but i was basing my oppinion on LG snobs on this forum...which was kinda stupid. Correctly callibrated, this thing is magnificent. The sRGB colour profile makes this thing looks like the holy grail!

7. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Can you all post your 85C color profile?
    Thanks in advance.

Also anyone elase has issues, please comment.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

9. allanibanez macrumors regular

The colour profile should already be on your machine, sRGB is on all the mbp's. If you go to system preferences > display > color and then untick the box which says "show profiles for this display only" sRGB IEC61966-2.1 should be there. I admit i didn't even notice this when i first got my mac, its as though this colour profile magically appeared over night, but i have never looked back since using it :)

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I think I've stated this in another thread, but that profile is not a display profile. It might "look" better to you, but I can guarantee that your color accuracy has gone out the door using that profile. It's a standard profile used for many things but it has absolutely no info on how colors are supposed to map to your display. It's like telling someone to fit these new water skis to their car for better results. It's a complete mismatch of intent.