Chicago Marathon 2007

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Sep 30, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

anyone participating?

my girlfriend + her mom (and her cousin and her mom) are running their first marathon next weekend in chicago. (she is from there originally) i will be standing on the sidelines with her dad throwing sport beans and goo at her while wearing the tshirts we screened yesterday. i hear its totally insanely crazy with people just filling up the entire city on race day. home base for us is Hyde Park so hopefully traveling around will not be too ridiculous.

2. runningman macrumors regular

I was set to run it and ran into the injury bug for 3 month straight. It's an awesome experience from both the runners and spectator side. Hook up with someone that knows there way around and hit multiple locations. One piece of advice set up your meeting place for the finish because it is a mass of humanity and difficult to find people. Also they give you mich ultra at the finish line why a low carb beer we are still debating.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've heard that's a fast course for a marathon

4. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

I've run it three times.

Great fast course, great crowd support.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wanna do it but then again if I go to Chicago there's potential bootie call there so it'd be a hard sell to get up and run a marathon. ;)

6. runningman macrumors regular

I guess it depends upon when you make the house call.
    Very fast course

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

run the marathon first? ;)

8. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Anyone got interesting stories from Sunday? I ran it in the back of the pack ...

- No hydration from official aid stations for the first 7 miles (tables flipped and folded over)
    - People running into fountains in Lincoln Park to cool off and ... drink the water (did not join them)
    - I ran into a CVS to buy Gatorade at mile 10 (none offered on course up to that point)
    - Diverted back to Grant Park after mile 16, was not able to complete 26 miles (still felt good)
    - Still received a finisher's medal anyway, yet did not cross the finish line and considered DNF (seriously ..)

Ah good times ...

9. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

my girl had a similar story, they were at the 5:40 pace and had no water starting at the 2nd station and got diverted at mile 16 back to the finish. very very lame. she spent a year mentally and physically getting ready for it, was feeling great at the halfway point and was told to stop. needless to say she was a tad upset.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it was a bit mismanaged from what i've heard and you know when someone dies on the run they tend to call it short. at least it doesn't surprise me, especially with the weather being as bad as it was sunday.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

man that really stinks. i would be upset also....very upset

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

My brother-in-law ran it. He was at 26.1 when people near the finish were waving their hands at him, telling him to stop and walk. My sister ran the last 5 with him and said "hey, this is YOUR marathon. You have 1/10 of a mile to go, don't listen to them!". And he didn't. He ran a 3:59.

But come on, seriously, why would you wave someone off that was that close? Apparently they had just issued the cancellation. Glad he ignored them.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I can see why he wouldn't have stopped, and good to see he broke 4hrs. High temperatures are a marathon's worst enemy and can be obviously lethal if the organizational infrastructure is whack. Not having early drinking stations functioning, in my opinion, borders on criminal negligence.

I've walked off a marathon at 15 miles when it got to 70°, but at 86-88°? No way.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad to see he finished. :)

did i miss something though? why were they cancelling? b/c of the heat?

15. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

in addition to the heat itself being somewhat more dangerous to run in, the heat caused a lot more water usage than normal - i saw tons of people pouring water over themselves at waterbreaks, etc... in addition to the higher drinking consumption of the runners because of the heat. they ran out of water, and because of this, they ran out of ambulances to cart so many injured and heat exhausted runners around, so they decided (correctly) to shut it down.

while i am glad and agree with the decision to shut it down because of the above, the city/planners dropped the ball bigtime.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sad that the weather made it such a downer of the day. However, the race did feature two of the most amazing finishes you'll ever see.

Men

Women

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So who was declared the winner? That finish beats Beardsly/Salazar's in The Boston.

Attached Files:

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh ok, i get it now. yeah, it seems that was the right thing to do.

thanks for the links :)

19. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

20. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

That looks very cool. Note the busses lined up to bring runners back!