Chicken of the VNC Trouble on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by linux2mac, Nov 1, 2009.

1. linux2mac macrumors 65816

linux2mac

I bought my first Mac (base model 27" iMac) and recently downloaded Chicken of the VNC. Now I have a puzzling issue. I am able to connect to a Suse Linux Enterprise Server - SP2 box off site but unable to connect to an OpenSuse 11.1 box on my internal network. Every time I try to connect to my internal Linux box I am able to see the login screen, but as soon as I try to type the login id, Chicken of the VNC hangs ( I get the spinning beach ball) and times out. I am puzzled why I have no problem connecting to an off site Linux box but cannot connect to an internal Linux box in the next room. I am able to connect to the Linux box in the next room from another physical Linux box in the same room as my Mac. I have ports 5801 to 5901 open on both the off site router and internal router. The firewall is open to let VNC in on both machines at both locations. The firewall is also currently turned off on my Mac. Next I installed an OpenSuse 11.1 virtual machine on my Mac with Fusion3. I opened a terminal in the Linux VM and I was able to use Tight VNC to connect to my box in the next room with no trouble. In another window on the Mac, I tried Chicken of the VNC, and once again the login screen displays, but I get the spinning beach ball when trying to type into the login screen. The Snow Leopard software compatibility site gives Chicken of the VNC the green OK symbol. But I am wondering if there is a Snow Leopard issue after all.

Mike

2. Middling macrumors regular

I'm not sure what is causing your problem, but Chicken of the VNC hasn't been updated in several years now and development seems to be dead.

Try JollysFastVNC instead and see if your problem persists. Jollys is updated on a regular basis, is free, and has always seemed a much better application than CotV to me.

3. cnymike macrumors newbie

JollysFastVNC is not technically free. It is free to try. The software is shareware. If you use it, you should buy it to support further development. It is well worth the expense of purchasing.