Chiclet Keyboard...Worrying about plastic rubbing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mknawabi, Nov 5, 2008.

1. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I am a little obsessive when it comes to the appearance of my gadgets, so i usually cover them with the invisible shields out there.

I am wondering if the new chiclet keyboards are prone to being 'rubbed out'. An example of this is the space key on a dell 700m keyboard I have. They key has some plastic that looks different than the surrounding (normal) plastic because i had rested my thumb on the spacebar inbetween typing words.

Is the keyboard prone to this or not? I am wondering if I should find some kind of plastic cover to place on my keys.

2. xvolcomx88 macrumors newbie

Yea, the black chiclet keyboard is very prone to staining. I suggest getting one of the silicon covers for the keyboard if you are worried about it.

3. Crash1234 macrumors regular

When I had had mine for less than a day my keyboard was already all fingerprinty even though I was very careful with it and always washed my hands before touching it. So yeah, I'd say these keyboards are exceedingly prone to fingerprints and smudges.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Jesus guys.. it's a bit of hardware, it's maded to be used. If your worried about it, buy a bluetooth keyboard and wear that out instead!:D

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Seriously.. I bet a lot of Ferrari owners don't touch their cars.. sad :p

6. joystik macrumors member

Not trying to put any users down, but when i see laptops covered in shields and protective stickers it really hurts! They spent tons of time on the design, making it look the way it is. Why screw it over! just my .02

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I wanna laser etch mine, give it a custom paint job too!
    Add some go-fast stripes down the sides... LOL.

Honestly... I don't give two woots about the exterior aesthetics, it just needs to function!!

8. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

same here, it hink in the long run
    its worth just using the the keyboard naked
    i have the bluetooth keyboard and i treat it like crap
    i can only see the wearing under certain angles other than that
    it still looks great

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Then why in God's name are you buying a Mac? Half the cost is attributable to the design alone! If you want pure function, why not buy a PC with double the specs for half the cost? Common now - don't try to fool yourself...

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Staining? I can see them slowly wearing down the matte like finish on the keyboards, but I don't believe staining is going to be an issue, like on older iBook / MacBook computers (white).

Also, Keyboard covers are not really a great idea on the new systems as they are designed to pull some of their cooling from the Keyboard area.

[​IMG]

11. BigD58 macrumors regular

Exactly! Apple products are too pretty to cover up!

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm someone who likes to keep their gadgets in good condition but I've realised that over the years I've worried so much about things getting marked/scraped/damaged etc that I've never really given them the use that I probably should have. These days I still look after my stuff as far as I can, but I'm not using anything that goes between me and the product - eg, Invisible skins, keyboard covers etc.

It really does depress me when people pull an iPod/iPhone out of their pocket and they've taken an absolute work of art (in terms of design and thinness etc) and wrapped it up in a big ugly rubber casing. It just looks awful after that. I use an iPod sock for my iPhone when in my pocket and a case for transporting my Laptop. That's it.

13. mknawabi thread starter macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I put the shields on a laptop so I can use them without having to be extra cautious. I had a Dell 700m that I treated like a tool, and at the end of 2 years, the thing looked like ****.

You don't buy a new TV and get scratches all over it and say oh hell, it still works!, Right? Of course you're going to feel bad.

I don't give a **** about the glossy screen, the sharp edges, the lack of DVI or firewire 400, but I do like to take care of my things.

And for a keyboard cover, I was just talking about getting some strips of invisible shield or what not and covering the top of the keys with a bit of it. I don't think that's going to affect any cooling