Chiense Government makes it snow in Beijing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Creative One, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...now-in-Beijing-in-order-to-fight-drought.html
    Anyone think in 10 years we might be regretting this?

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Probably.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Young Jeezy has been making it snow for years. How is this news?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You realize that many countries use cloud seeding, right? Not just China?
    Here in the States some ski resorts do it in an attempt to increase snowfall.

http://www.naiwmc.org/

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

in miami beach... alot of people make it rain

but not make it snow...well at least where i hang out...

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Those downwind of prevailing winds may well be regretting it now as THEY'LL be getting the drought instead.

They cleared the skies using seeding techniques for a recent military parade.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given that it affected the port to the east I think that'll be the Pacific ocean.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Given the pollution in Beijing, that's probably the least of your worries.

10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Given that this practice is not exclusive to Beijing, I wouldn't categorize it as "the least of my worries."

"Moreover, a key manufacturer of silver iodide for weather modification, Deepwater Chemicals, warns of potential health effects of silver iodide in their Material Safety Data Sheet as follows:

Chronic Exposure/Target Organs: Chronic ingestion of iodides may produce “iodism”, which may be manifested by skin rash, running nose, headache and irritation of the mucous membranes. Weakness, anemia, loss of weight and general depression may also occur. Chronic inhalation or ingestion may cause argyria characterized by blue-gray discoloration of the eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Chronic skin contact may cause permanent discoloration of the skin.(10)

Under the guidelines of the Clean Water Act by the EPA, silver iodide is considered a hazardous substance, a priority pollutant, and as a toxic pollutant.(10) Some industries have learned this all too well.

Obviously the cloud-after-cloud, year-after-year use of cloud seeding could lead to an insidious, cumulative effect. Especially when the same area is repeatedly seeded. If the toxicity manifests in pollution and illnesses, the effects may not be reversible.
    "

"In the United States, cloud seeding is used to increase precipitation in areas experiencing drought, to reduce the size of hailstones that form in thunderstorms, and to reduce the amount of fog in and around airports. Cloud seeding is also occasionally used by major ski resorts to induce snowfall. Eleven western states and one Canadian province (Alberta) have ongoing weather modification operational programs [4]. In January 2006, an $8.8 million cloud seeding project began in Wyoming to examine the effects of cloud seeding on snowfall over Wyoming's Medicine Bow, Sierra Madre, and Wind River mountain ranges. "

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I ain't worried.

With the amount of acid in the regional atmosphere, I'd imagine most of the snow will be frozen acid rain; it'll be even more toxic once it's thawed.

Bring on the desert! :D