Child-Safe CD Drive Cover

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BigBadErik, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BigBadErik macrumors newbie

Hey Folks,

Was wondering if anybody has heard of something, aside from duct tape, that will keep our two-year-old from shoving things in the CD-ROM drive of our brand-spanking-new iMac. Is there some kind of third-party device that will clamp over it?

Sincerely,
    Erik

2. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

...the iMac or the two-year-old?

LK

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

LMFAO. Too funny.

I've never seen any device marketed to do this. Is it a problem or are you just anticipating?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not that this will necessarily help, but if it's a 24" iMac, you can get a VESA bracket from Apple and then wall-mount it, which might make it harder to access, especially if you get one of those hinge arms so it extends when in use but is against the wall (and presumably farther from the edge of the desk) when it's not.

If it's a 20", God help you.

5. OhFrenchman macrumors newbie

Buying a desk and not putting the iMac on the floor would be my suggestion ;)

If this really is a problem I fear you won't get around using tape.

6. Digitalflick macrumors regular

Too funny, I had the same problem, but it was with my mac mini. I went to burn something one day, and could not fit the cd in. I opened the mini up, only to find about 3 quarters and a few pennies my 3 yr old shoved inside. I used a piece of clear plastic (the plastic that an ipod comes wrapped in) to cover the slot.

7. BigBadErik thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac and Two-Year Olds

Alas, folks thanks for your replies. So what you're saying is that nobody knows of any device to put over the slot, aside from tape or clear plastic.

Yep...this is an issue. Our little one has been shoving DVDs in backwards at this point, but unless we figure something out, it's just a matter of time until a piece of matzo or a birth certificate ends up in there.

Unfortunately, with our office, wall-mounting ain't an option.

Peace,
    Erik

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

How can a 2-year old be getting upto desk level and stuffing things in the drive? Are you keeping an eye on the child at all?