Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Hi

looking for recommendations for child-safe internet browsing software. My kids like using the computer and I'd like my 7-year-old son to be able to google stuff without me constantly worrying about what turns up. Regardless of the 'safesearch' settings, you're still only ever a couple of clicks away from dodgy stuff.

So is there either something I can load up over safari, or even a separate application that will help with this?

Also, any good apps generally for younger kids? eg my daughter is 4 and likes drawing, but I daren't let her loose on the computer as she can easily click on stuff in the dock etc. Need something that'll 'take over' the computer screen so you're running around safely in a controlled environment, if that makes sense?

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Impossible, but you can try to filter what they look at. For example with NetNanny for OS X. You can google for other possible solutions.

Remember, the internet is just like the street; not safe. You will have to teach them responsibilities, just like in the real world.

P.S.: I reckon you already turned on the Parental Controls?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
nope. didn't know there were any. Can you point me in the right direciton?

this will be a machine we use as our day to day machine (we'll probably use my wife's macbook), so it'd need to be easily switched on/off. Would that mean setting up a separate user account for the kids?

that'd be a bit of a pain, as I have my wife's account set up without a password so its easy for her to get into.

Still, will look into that, and the netnanny, thanks.

JNB

macrumors 604
It's all in System Preferences.

Attachments

• System Preferences.jpg
    System Preferences.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 43

misswissy

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
If you use Firefox, Glubble is a great add-on http://www.glubble.com/

It comes with preset pages that the children can surf, as well as allowing safe access to google - you have to authorise pages before the child can view them. And you can set up different children profiles so you can tailor what each child has access to.

:)

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
nope. didn't know there were any. Can you point me in the right direciton?
I see John who is not Lennon already took care of this.
this will be a machine we use as our day to day machine (we'll probably use my wife's macbook), so it'd need to be easily switched on/off. Would that mean setting up a separate user account for the kids?
Ye, it means a separate account. and be sure not to give them Administrative powers because otherwise it is useless. Have the computer start up in the kid's account, and setup yours with a password. This would have the side effect that you will have to log out of the kid account and login to yours (and don't forget to log out), but that is a price you will have to pay in any setup. All "filter programs" assume that you use a different account than the one you're filtering. After all, it would be useless to filter the account otherwise.

Personally my setup is that I have a normal user account for the day to day stuff ,and an Admin one for Admin stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.