Children and OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niter, Dec 8, 2010.

1. niter, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

niter macrumors 6502

We are purchasing a family computer and I would like my child to be able to use it. Part of the argument I had towards getting a Mac vs. PC was for her. However, I am having trouble finding kid oriented software for Snow Leopard. Any suggestions? Also, I read that there are free games to be downloaded on Apple's site but I do not know where to find them. My first experience on a computer was with an Apple and I had always assumed they were the best computer (besides personal bias) for starting out...still, not sure where is the software for kids!

Thanks!

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I'd suggest you also look into making a special account for your kid. You can have pretty tight control over what your kid does and doesn't do. Go into accounts in system preferences, first unlock it using the lock on the bottom, then click the plus symbol, and select the new account as "Managed with Parental Controls". It goes a long way to assuring your kid's safety on the internet and the computer in general. This is where you'll appreciate how integrated everything is in the OS.

If you already have an account set up, you can just click on "parental controls" in system preferences and enable it for that account instead of creating a new one. Does the same thing.

3. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek: Perfect!!! Thank you!

Good call. I have been a Mac user longer than being a parent so I have not had a need to tinker with the parental controls ('cept way back when I once tormented my spouse by locking his account down for kicks and giggles). Thanks!

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

You're welcome! Always happy to help a fellow mac user! :)