Chill Pad?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thestaton, May 17, 2007.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

Anyone else considered picking up one of these laptop chill pads for there Apple TV? Mine is setting on a wood book shelf and my god it feels like its cooking its self. I was going to set my master shake doll on top of the apple tv but I'm afraid to put anything on it.

I was going to pick up one that is ac powered and see how it works.

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

i would not put anything on top of it. I have mine propped up off my table top with some pencils on the sides. I just wanted to get it up a bit so air can go through. I heard on a podcast that someone was able to cook eggs on the top...yea...wow

3. Teddy's macrumors 6502

ikes!

Is it really that hot?

OK, I am planning to get one and replace my old George Foreman grill.

Would the targus chill pad for notebooks work on :apple: tv's usb ports? It's CAD$15 in Sams Club!

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Sure it gets very warm. But is that really an inconvenience? I wouldn't recommend putting anything on top of it but that goes for most home theatre electronics. In the end, it's your call. If you go for it, just make sure the fans are quiet as to not generate an annoying background noise.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I think prominently placing your mastershake doll is more important than keeping your apple TV alive...go for it!

6. thestaton thread starter macrumors 6502

I picked up a targus chill mat today at walmart that has a usb connection for power. plugged it in and we are in business. hopefully it cools it down some.

7. island macrumors 6502

island

I actually have a desk with the AC under the laptop desk. Works out great!