Chimes!

MUDCRABS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
On start up I seem to have misplaced the Start up chime?
Changed nothing .. buggered if I know where it went :eek:

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
On start up I seem to have misplaced the Start up chime?
Changed nothing .. buggered if I know where it went :eek:
Setting the system volume setting when you have no external speakers or headphones plugged in, sets the startup chime volume. Zero volume = no chime.

MUDCRABS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Did a PRAM reset and it's back, not a lot of settings needed altering back to what they were... God, I love my Chime in the morning :D

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
Setting the system volume setting when you have no external speakers or headphones plugged in, sets the startup chime volume. Zero volume = no chime.
in 10 years of Mac ownership I've never known this. I've always just assumed the volume is just a quirk of each particular machine! The iMac I just got yesterday has an incredibly loud startup chime, so this is valuable information indeed. (I always have my computers plugged into nice speakers so I've never had enough experimentation to realize this was an option)

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
in 10 years of Mac ownership I've never known this. I've always just assumed the volume is just a quirk of each particular machine! The iMac I just got yesterday has an incredibly loud startup chime, so this is valuable information indeed. (I always have my computers plugged into nice speakers so I've never had enough experimentation to realize this was an option)
Cool :) Glad to be of assistance.

Merry Christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.