Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130120-china_mobile_logo.jpg

The Financial Times reports (registration required) that China Mobile continues to express interest in bringing the iPhone to its network, but that little progress has been made on convincing Apple to adopt the TD-SCDMA standard utilized by the carrier.
Wang Jianzhou, China Mobile chairman and chief executive, said at the group's annual results yesterday that "including TD-SCDMA is not that hard to do - RIM is doing it". But he added that Apple had not yet responded to his proposal.
Wang's comments suggest that essentially no progress has been made since a September report indicating that TD-SCDMA remained the major stumbling block for Apple and China Mobile. China Mobile is the world's largest mobile carrier with over 500 million customers, representing a significant market opportunity for Apple should an agreement be reached.

The carrier's 3G customer base remains small, however, as it seeks to boost its numbers from 3.4 million customers to over 10 million in the next year. As it has struggled to roll out its 3G service, smaller rivals such as China Unicom and China Telecom have been grabbing an increasing percentage of new subscribers.

Apple has offered the iPhone in China since last October through China Unicom, which uses the same 3GSM/UMTS standard available on the rest of the iPhone's carrier partners around the world.

Article Link: China Mobile Still Pushing Apple to Adopt TD-SCDMA for iPhone

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
CDMA is not going to happen.

Like Verizon in the US, China Mobile will get their shot when they deploy the LTE 4G network.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
It must be a really, REALLY slow day for this to get front page press. Of course Apple won't roll out a TD-SCDMA enabled iPhone... that standard is only used in China so they can avoid paying royalties to Western nations. I doubt Apple wants to pay China royalties for using it...

FaustsHausUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's clearly about the margins for Apple. Unless they can guarantee enough sales, there is no benefit to them making a different hardware iteration of their device specifically for one carrier - they clearly want software and packaging to be the only thing they need to change when manufacturing devices.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Apple doesnt need their market enough to do this. I think they are wise to avoid the illusion of the "massive chinese market opportunity" and focus on mature markets where they can actually make money and follow standards.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
500 MILLION CUSTOMERS in one country? Good lord that puts the over population in China to a new perspective. :eek:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
And the turn around time for such a request if Apple did it?
Seems like China Mobile is just highlighting they might not have the iPhone now, now with the 4th generation iPhone out this summer.

Instead, 2 smaller carriers do in China. Darn.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
They don’t want to make a bunch of SKUs. They already disable Wi-fi for the China GSM version.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
500 MILLION CUSTOMERS in one country? Good lord that puts the over population in China to a new perspective. :eek:

Total population is 1.3 B. The number sounds right. BUT,

The real question is how many people amoung the 1/2 B can afford an iPhone. The answer is not so many.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
CDMA is not going to happen.

Like Verizon in the US, China Mobile will get their shot when they deploy the LTE 4G network.

It's not CDMA - at least not the Qualcomm CDMA2K that Verizon runs.

Everyone uses CDMA signalling. Verizon uses a proprietary system from Qualcomm called CDMA2K. The rest of the world, and the iPhone, uses UMTS/HSPA. UMTS has two modes of operation - the much more common WCDMA which uses separate frequencies for uplink and downlink, and the more obscure TDCDMA, which combines uplink and downlink into a single radio frequency.

TD-SCDMA is an even more obscure modification of UMTS that much like TDCDMA uses a combined uplink/downlink channel, but also uses non-standard frequency widths. (1.25MHz vs 5MHz for the rest of UMTS). It's mostly a funny Chinese thing - think SECAM but for cell phones.

I suspect the iPhone might support it in the future if Apple uses a baseband chip that incidentally happens to support TD-SCDMA, but China Mobile is smoking Ganja if they think Apple will ever prefer one baseband chip over another based on TD-SCDMA support.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
but China Mobile is smoking Ganja if they think Apple will ever prefer one baseband chip over another based on TD-SCDMA support.

Ditto.

I think we actually have a better chance to see CDMA2000 iPhones than we would see the stupid TD-whatever based anything.

If Apple believes proper margin can be reached with an iPhone other than a single production of WCDMA based iPhone, they would have already made it a couple years ago.

Auchron

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
CDMA for North America

If they won't do CDMA for a customer base of 500 million, there is no way they'll do it for 90 million (Verizon).

You missed the quote where they said China Mobile is struggling with their 3g network and they have under 10million subscribers on that network. I am assuming the real problem here is that, sure, China Mobile has a huge client base but what is the coverage in China for their 3g network, something that the iPhone relies on.

Verizon is excelling in coverage for 3g in the US and so are other companies in Europe as well. It is possible for CDMA, especially if a dual GSM/CDMA chip can be produced.

I am also not familiar with China's technology to know if their CDMA technology is compatible with other CDMA technology.

Also the fact that Apple has not replied yet could be that they are deciding on the matter. They have not rejected just not answered. They could have just been busy with the iPad and the new iMacs to look into the proposal from China Mobile. I think China Mobile realizes this but maybe is becoming impatient because they are losing clients to their competitors, so they are making this proposal public to draw attention to themselves.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by erasetheclouds
If they won't do CDMA for a customer base of 500 million, there is no way they'll do it for 90 million (Verizon).[/QUOTE]

You don't get it:

As much as 1/2 B, few can afford an iPhone. The "potential" of a market advertised by China never existed.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Meanwhile today, Palm announced that their slow death spiral into irrelevance continues unabated...

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006

Unfortunately, that half-billion includes a majority of users with pit toilets and no electricity... not exactly a smart-phone market all-in-all.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It is possible for CDMA, especially if a dual GSM/CDMA chip can be produced.

Those have been available for years. The problem is that they lack WCDMA and are incompatible with networks like Telus/Bell (Canada), XT (NZ) and NextG (Australia). There are apparently GSM/WCDMA/CDMA2000 hybrids coming but I'm not expecting Apple to jump out and switch to them.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It must be a really, REALLY slow day for this to get front page press. Of course Apple won't roll out a TD-SCDMA enabled iPhone... that standard is only used in China so they can avoid paying royalties to Western nations. I doubt Apple wants to pay China royalties for using it...

Exactly. There are pros and cons to creating and adopting your own regional standards when a well-developed technology already exists.

eyeronik1

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
Unfortunately, that half-billion includes a majority of users with pit toilets and no electricity... not exactly a smart-phone market all-in-all.

Not true. 15% of Chinese consumers are middle-class or wealthier. When I worked in marketing in Shanghai we all used China Mobile; the percentage may be higher for them.

That makes the Chinese opportunity with CM roughly the same size or larger as the opportunity for Verizon, assuming that Verizon has many existing customers who also can't afford an iphone.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
If they won't do CDMA for a customer base of 500 million, there is no way they'll do it for 90 million (Verizon).

If enough of those 90 million have the income and inclination to purchase iPhone they sure will.

Dont be fooled by overall number, only the number of subscribers with the means and inclination to buy matters here.

giosaccone

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010

I agree with You, I also doubt Apple wants to pay China royalties for using it

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Those have been available for years. The problem is that they lack WCDMA and are incompatible with networks like Telus/Bell (Canada), XT (NZ) and NextG (Australia). There are apparently GSM/WCDMA/CDMA2000 hybrids coming but I'm not expecting Apple to jump out and switch to them.
You have not kept up with the news. Telus/Bell and an HSPA+ network since November of last year and are official iPhone carriers in Canada. They still have their legacy CDMA network in place but are pushing their new network now.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Telus/Bell and an HSPA+ network since November of last year

Exactly. Not a GSM network, so the existing GSM/CDMA chips wouldn't work (well, they'd work on the CDMA side but I'm talking about the new side). You'd need one of the (prototype?) GSM/WCDMA/CDMA2000 chips to use Telus/Bell's new network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.