Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

china_mobile_logo-copy-250x241.jpg
Qualcomm, ZTE, and China Mobile have announced plans to start interoperability testing and outdoor trials for the new 5G radio specifications being developed by the 3GPP group (via DigiTimes).
The interoperability testing and trials will launch in China starting in the second half of 2017, with the goal of the trials being to showcase how 5G NR technologies can efficiently achieve multi-gigabit per second data rates at lower latency and better reliability than today's network, Qualcomm stated in a company release.
After large-scale testing of 5G networks in 2017, China Mobile aims to continue with deployment testing in 2018, and commercial operations starting in 2020, according to the report. The trials will use device prototypes from Qualcomm and base station solutions from ZTE, and follow guidelines from China Mobile.

The announcement indicates an acceleration of China Mobile's schedule for 5G development in the country, as the company looks to keep abreast of mobile carriers in the U.S., Europe, Japan and South Korea.

Earlier this month, AT&T announced it would begin trialing 5G wireless technologies in the U.S. this year and said it anticipated 5G speeds to be 10 to 100 times faster than average 4G LTE connections. However, widespread rollout across AT&T's network isn't expected until 2020.

There's no information as yet on Apple's plans for 5G uptake. Appl supported LTE-Advanced - a faster standard of 4G LTE - fairly rapidly with the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but the older 3G and LTE wireless technologies were both available for years before Apple adopted them. Going on AT&T's and 3GPP's timelines, a 5G iPhone is unlikely to be released for at least another three to four years.

Article Link: China Mobile to Begin Large-Scale 5G Testing This Year

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Hard to imagine that 5G is almost upon us. Here in the US I live in a densely populated area between 2 cities and my AT&T 4G LTE coverage is STILL spotty at best on my iPhone 7 Plus. It would be nice to see the major carriers actually bolstering their infrastructure and expanding their LTE coverage maps a little more quickly than they do. Until it is more widespread and accessible to more rural areas outside of the cities and travel corridors that connect them, for many consumers, 4G and soon 5G will continue to be marketing points for advertising and little more.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Hopefully 5G will make mobile service more reliable – depending on its implementation, of course.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
If I made a joke a about finally getting a 5G PowerBook in the 2020s would that get modded or is it enough of a twist? ;)

Anyway, faster is good of course but as people are saying, getting 4G more widespread would be a better priority for most people. But maybe 5G will help push 4G too, so it'd be a win-win... ?

Reactions: omenatarhuri

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
The logo of China Mobile post in the article is an old version. Here is the newest version:

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 134

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
i dont find that to be accurate at all.

It depends whether your white or Chinese, unsurprisingly. Normal prices are ~$3/GB. If you want the English international prepaid SIM, China Unicom charges you $35 for 2 GB.

Compare to HK where it's around $7/GB, and a T-Mobile style unlimited would run you about $100/month.

(The complainers in America would like to believe that its 25 cents for unlimited in China.)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It depends whether your white or Chinese, unsurprisingly. Normal prices are ~$3/GB. If you want the English international prepaid SIM, China Unicom charges you $35 for 2 GB.

Compare to HK where it's around $7/GB, and a T-Mobile style unlimited would run you about $100/month.

(The complainers in America would like to believe that its 25 cents for unlimited in China.)

i am white (not sure why that matters). I have a month to month sim only plan here i get 4.5 GB of data per month (4GB of which rolls over into the next if unused, which it often is, as i'm barely using the previous months' each time) and another 1GB of free data at night time. right now ⅔ of the way through the month, i'm looking at an allowance of 8.8GB left. its the equivalent of $23 per month. its not exactly *cheap* but its highly competitive (ie, essentially the same price) with what I used to get with three in the UK.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013

Checked Mobile and Unicom, and they're both ridiculously expensive.

My current plan in Denmark is like $0.6 per GB for 18 GB total.

IMG_6427.PNG

IMG_6429.PNG

Reactions: obargy

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Checked Mobile and Unicom, and they're both ridiculously expensive.

My current plan in Denmark is like $0.6 per GB for 18 GB total.

View attachment 689674

View attachment 689682

the more you get, the lower the cost per gigabyte. your "research" shows that.
[doublepost=1487822638][/doublepost]
Well known in China, if you appear white or don't speak Chinese, they'll jack up prices. Case in point: https://www.mychinaunicom.com/

Funny enough, opposite happens in Hong Kong, they sell sim cards that are only in English and Filipino that cost less, obviously targeted at the maids.

no... if you are a foreign tourist seeking a one-off solution, they'll jack up the prices. go to any airport in the world, this is done in almost every country of the world. you wouldn't be sold one of these on a long term basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.