China Unicom to Sell iPhone 4 and iPad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted by AppleInsider, Caixin Online reports that China Unicom will launch the iPhone 4 in September and has secured the rights to sell the iPad in China. The iPhone 4 will be made available in early September while no release date has been specified for the iPad.

It was reported last month that a China Unicom executive had flown to the United States to meet with Apple executives to finalize a distribution deal for the iPad and iPhone 4.

The Wall Street Journal recently reported that China Unicom would begin selling iPhone 3GS models with Wi-Fi enabled just earlier this month, after months of selling the device without Wi-Fi enabled in order to adhere to government regulations.

Article Link: China Unicom to Sell iPhone 4 and iPad

2. JS77 macrumors regular

Did they also manage to get exclusivity on bumper case distribution? :D

3. grmatt macrumors 6502

4. stahl7639 macrumors member

Yes, it's still GSM.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I feel for the factory workers making these things :eek:

6. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I hope so, I ordered an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong which will arrive at 8/30(I hope so, the service said delay may occur), but I got a plane to Shanghai at 8/30 afternoon, so it will be impossible for me to get a free bumper.

Anyone who knows if this will include the case program? because 299 RMB for a bumper, blahhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

So, does a worker get to make their own phone? The ultimate customization right in the factory! ;)

8. paul4339 macrumors 65816

now to build the chinese appStore ecosystem.

P.

9. BTW macrumors 6502

Will the iPhone 4 and iPad have wi-fi disabled again? That would suck. I have some relatives in China on my wife's side. China always tries to push their homegrown tech but in the case of wi-fi I believe it was more of a control issue.

10. paul4339 macrumors 65816

as of Aug 5,

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hMwqRqeyeEeGClZHlZEAAzHPlQZQD9HDPV900

they will sell 3GS with wi-fi, so I'm guessing that this will also be available for the ip4 and ipad.

P.

11. leping macrumors newbie

They don't need a bamper in China: cell signal is strong everywhere

Your guys have to understand how far the internet/communication technology lags in the US. In China everywhere you go, city or countryside, the cell signal is very strong and rarely drop off 5 bars. Internet connections are fast also and everyone is playing global games or watch movie online. 90% attenuation? Not likely a problem. Most farmers never owned (some never seeing) a land based phone before they got a cell phone.

12. skeep5 macrumors 6502a

skeep5

13. aohus macrumors 68000

maybe in urban areas, highly doubtful in rural China.

14. Anawrahta macrumors member

I'll hand it to China Unicom, they've done an impressive rollout with their 3G services, but I wouldn't say the service is flawless. I get dropped calls in downtown Shanghai on the regular, and once you hit distant suburbs 3G drops to EDGE or GPRS quite often.

You're comment about fast internet is a joke. The internet in China is a complete effing joke.

15. tymmini macrumors newbie

anyone know if taiwan is included in this china date? or will we have to wait for our own separate release date?