Chinao Wheat for new iPad - Review & Pics

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Stangs55, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Stangs55, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

EDIT: I updated the post with three more pics at the bottom after manually white balancing my camera. Those pictures are more representative of the leather color.

I recently received my Chinao Wheat for the new iPad and thought I’d share some initial impressions.

Some Background:
    I’ve purchased every iPad on launch day and probably spent upwards of $500 since that time on different cases. Well…I’ve really spent most of that money since the launch of the iPad 2 and the death of the original iPad case. To me, the original case was perfect. It was sleek, looked good, provided basic protection, and added almost zero bulk. But for whatever reason…nobody every truly replicated that formula for the iPad 2. Everything was either made out of imitation leather (or even real leather), or made it prop up into a folio stand, or added a wide bezel, or added some stupid stretchy band…but at the end of the day, there was just no equal. After buying everything from a Vaja to a Yoobao, I stumbled up on the Chinao Wheat and fell in love. It wasn’t quite the original iPad case…but to me, it was just as good in its own way. It felt expensive, stayed low profile, provided some protection, and looked fantastic. So when my new iPad arrived, I had always just assumed that I would force my new iPad into the old Chinao Wheat and be happy…but alas, while it fit okay, the magnets didn’t operate the sleep/wake function…so I placed a preorder for the new Chinao Wheat as soon as I could…it just came in…

What’s New
    The rear flap that holds back the front cover has been redesigned. Instead of the large crescent, we now have a small rectangular piece of leather to hold back the front cover. All-in-all, I think this is a good design move. The previous crescent flap was huge and was starting to get loose after 6 months of use. The new design seems that it will last longer and endure more pain. It’s also a bit easier to manipulate one handed.
    The body is, of course, a bit deeper to accommodate the added depth of the new iPad. Nothing surprising here.
    The small Chinao metal button that was on the bottom right of the front flap has been removed. Take it or leave it, I don’t really have an opinion on it being gone.

My Thoughts
    I love this case. To me, it’s just about the best case you can buy for any dollar amount…and as I said previously, I’ve owned most of them all. The leather feels nice and looks fantastic. It has a subdued elegance about its look that doesn’t demand it be flashy in order to draw attention. I can’t tell you guys how many comments and questions I would get about my old Chinao Wheat from people wanting to know where I got it and how much it cost. The inner suede that forms the bezel is thin and firm allowing your iPad to be the center of attention when the case is laid open…instead of the case drawing your eye.
    The fit of the case remains excellent. The iPad is held very snuggly inside with zero slipping around. There are cutouts where you would expect them including for the top microphone and they all line up well. Folding the front cover around to the back doesn’t accidentally trip the sleep/wake like some other model cases would.

At the end of the day, it’s really “to each his own”. Different people value different things in a case, so my needs are certainly not yours…but for me, this is just about right. After a lot of money and a lot of time, I eventually found my perfect case about half way through my iPad 2’s life, and I’m happy to say that I won’t be repeating that cycle with the new iPad. If you’re looking for something similar, I couldn’t recommend the Chinao Wheat any more.

(I ordered my case through ******* [dot] com…I think Macrumors is going to blank out what I just wrote for some reason…but I can tell you that this guys is absolutely fantastic to deal with. He’s responded to all my emails promptly and personally and provided me with constant feedback until my case shipped. He’s the primary US dealer for the Chinao Wheat and the guy you’ll be buying from if you just go to eBay instead. Just google “Chinao Wheat new ipad” and he is the first site that pops up. Huge thanks to Kevin!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Added some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Nice review. I almost bought this the other day. Looks good.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Do the magnets keep the flap closed? I ordered 2 yoobao cases which are fine but the screen cover seems to deform and it doesn't stay closed now.

4. gigaguy, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

gigaguy macrumors 65816

I agree with poster, the orig Apple iPad 1 case was my favorite - minimal, protective, functional. nothing else I've had was as simple and trouble free. Closest for me was the Yoobao iPad 2 exec leather.
    I like the Wheat ok. The color and name doesn't thrill me, looks like it would get marked up easily, but I'd have to see it in person. I'm no longer a fan of glass covering bezels or shiny leathers either. If they made this in darker matte leather I'd like it more. I do like the flap and tuck over the Apple smart cover fold designs.
    Thanks for the well thought review.

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I agree, I'm not real sure on the color and texture.

6. bobright macrumors 601

This is what I'm wondering as well, I've got a case that the cover and magnets don't keep the iPad in sleep mode unless I have it lying face down so that way it is off.

If lying in its backside and you simply close the cover does the iPad stay asleep?

7. thefeebster macrumors newbie

Just wondering if an ipad 2 can fit snugly into this one? I am doubtful, but i figured it was worth asking. The previous version had that crescent moon kick stand that i really don't like and is probably the major reason why i did not purchase it.

And I too am interested to see if there is magnetic closure.

Thanks for the review.

8. Jungiii macrumors member

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

This is a review for the iPad 3 case....so yeah.:confused:

10. emgoodman macrumors regular

Viewing/typing angles

Thanks for the review.

Could you possibly add a couple pictures of the case in the viewing/typing positions? Thanks - much appreciated.

11. Jungiii macrumors member

Touche. lol.

12. Stangs55, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

The magnets do not keep the cover closed when flipped upside down. They are really only there for the sleep/wake function.

The cover lays perfectly flat either right-side-up or upside down...so there are no issues with it awakening in certain orientations.

The iPad 2 fits perfectly.

Definitely. Give me a day or so for work to simmer down and I'll get some more pics up.

13. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Great pics & review! It's a pretty nice case, I'm liking mine quite a bit. I'd love just a plain black standard leather version of this too...would be pretty slick.

14. ivada macrumors member

Looks like a very nice case! Couple of questions, will appreciate your input:

- Since the back is covered by leather, and the new iPad does heat up more than the earlier versions, have you noticed it getting very warm inside all that leather?
    - The pic is not clear but it looks like the case does cover some part of the bezel, is that right? I really do not like my cases to cover any part of the bezel so this will be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate your pics and review.

15. Radio macrumors 68000

I just threw up on my retina display

Btw I've owned that cover ; decent for the $

16. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

:confused:

1. I haven't noticed any excessive heat that would have been exacerbated by the leather.
    2. Yup, it has a small lip that covers the bezel. It's size and design is almost identical to the original iPad 1 cover. I personally love it and greatly prefer that to a plastic lip around the corners.

Sorry it took me so long. I added the pics to the original post.

17. bobright macrumors 601

Stang,

I appreciate the updated flicks/info. I've got one more question...there is no issue with the iPad moving around inside the pocket of the case, ya know where things can misalign volume or camera hole due to the iPad shifting around inside?

18. moptart macrumors member

Mine moves around, I often have to re-adjust.

19. Burgandy macrumors newbie

Burgandy

Your iPad 3 moves around in this case? That's troubling.

How loose is it?

I am thinking of putting my iPad 2 in one of these. I may have to buy the previous version if this one is going to be too loose.

20. moptart macrumors member

It's not really too loose, it's perhaps too tight towards the right edge, thereby preventing full seating into the right edge.

When I push the ipad towards the right (with a little force), the port holes line up, then after awhile when I look again it's slightly off.

It is only slightly off and not a deal-breaker for me, only a slight annoyance.

21. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

^ This

It was actually something that happened with the original Chinao Wheat on the iPad 2. It was my small, but most substantial complaints about the first case and it seems that the issue persists here. It's by no means a deal breaker for me...but it is an annoyance.

I've taken a picture to try and show you guys what I mean...the pic below is from my iPad 3 after it's set in the Chinao wheat for over 24 hours. I have not re-adjusted it at all during this time. It's received heavy use being opened and closed many many times and lugged around in a satchel all day constantly being taken in and out. At the end of 24 hours...this is how much it's "slipped"...

[​IMG]

22. Burgandy macrumors newbie

Burgandy

Thanks for the replies. I am guessing my iPad 2 is going to move around even more so I may just get the previous version that has the crescent cut out on the back and was made for the iPad 2.

I don't care for the cutout on the back but I cannot seem to find a better alternative case.

Is there any truth to dirt getting under the bezel lining of these cases and scratching the iPad screen? This is mostly in-home use for me, very little traveling.

I am also considering the Chinao Vaja style case but never liked the odds of the Ipad coming loose from the clips or the iPad being torqued around by the clips.

I have seriously been to 6 stores. Returned 3 cases and spent at least 2 hours online looking for a case for my iPad 2. Ugh..