Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Chinese Counterfeiter Busted for Selling $1.1M of Fake iPhones and iPads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Chinese counterfeiter who participated in a scheme to traffic and smuggle counterfeit products mimicking Apple's iPhones and iPads today pled guilty to trafficking and conspiracy charges, according to a press release shared on the website of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Jianhua "Jeff" Li, working through a company called Dream Digitals, conspired with several other individuals to smuggle more than 40,000 fake iPads, iPhones, and accessories into the United States from China from 2009 to 2014. The electronic devices in question included labels and packaging bearing counterfeit Apple trademarks.

To get the counterfeit products into the country, Li shipped the devices separately from the counterfeit trademarks. Fake devices were sent all over the United States, and proceeds from the sales were funneled into bank accounts in Florida and New Jersey.

Li, who was officially charged with one count of conspiracy to traffic in counterfeit goods and labels and to smuggle goods into the United States and one count of trafficking in counterfeit goods, received payments totaling more than $1.1 million from U.S. accounts.

Li could be facing several years in prison for his crime. A co-conspirator, Rosario LaMarca, was sentenced to 37 months in prison back in July, while two others Li worked with, Roberto Volpe and Andreina Becerra, are awaiting sentencing.

Article Link: Chinese Counterfeiter Busted for Selling $1.1M of Fake iPhones and iPads

Reactions: Avieshek

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
GOOD!

I've been burned once before wiht an iPhone 5C and reported it to the cops. ****** left the country left me out $500 for a crappy Android knock off that wouldn't even fully nor hold a charge to be used as a phone that I really needed. Hope he got busted just like these frakers. That was good hard-earned money in some tough times back then. Now I know what to look for when buying on the grey market which I'll stop from doing going forward.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I would think that this would happen less now since people lease their phones. Not as many try to buy a phone outright from a 3rd party.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
GOOD!

I've been burned once before wiht an iPhone 5C and reported it to the cops. ****** left the country left me out $500 for a crappy Android knock off that wouldn't even fully nor hold a charge to be used as a phone that I really needed. Hope he got busted just like these frakers. That was good hard-earned money in some tough times back then. Now I know what to look for when buying on the grey market which I'll stop from doing going forward.

Um...about that phones holding charge thing ;) ain't that much different from a genuine iPhone:D

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
We need stricter rulings like these where i am from. Here a rapist of a teenager gets a 1.000€ fine and 2 years on probation and crap like that

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
In a way, it goes to show you the notoriety and popularity Apple Products has that a counterfeiter would go to these lengths to sell fraudulent Products. Can only imagine how upset somebody would be when they found out they received a counterfeit iPhone or iPad they purchased.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Um...about that phones holding charge thing ;) ain't that much different from a genuine iPhone:D

Lol yes. But it’s all ties together. I got double screwed so this remains a sour point in my smartphone experience. Apple can thank her fakers and scammers for keeping me and my son into the Apple ecosystem into life.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
If you buy things from such vendors at a ridiculous price point instead of the known channel partners you cannot complain. Nice to see though they still get caught.

Reactions: iapplelove

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
well, on the bright side I'm sure those people who bought it got to use Google now instead of Siri!
Lame.
[doublepost=1517674688][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1517674746][/doublepost]

A Chinese counterfeiter who participated in a scheme to traffic and smuggle counterfeit products mimicking Apple's iPhones and iPads today pled guilty to trafficking and conspiracy charges, according to a press release shared on the website of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Jianhua "Jeff" Li, working through a company called Dream Digitals, conspired with several other individuals to smuggle more than 40,000 fake iPads, iPhones, and accessories into the United States from China from 2009 to 2014. The electronic devices in question included labels and packaging bearing counterfeit Apple trademarks.

To get the counterfeit products into the country, Li shipped the devices separately from the counterfeit trademarks. Fake devices were sent all over the United States, and proceeds from the sales were funneled into bank accounts in Florida and New Jersey.

Li, who was officially charged with one count of conspiracy to traffic in counterfeit goods and labels and to smuggle goods into the United States and one count of trafficking in counterfeit goods, received payments totaling more than $1.1 million from U.S. accounts.

Li could be facing several years in prison for his crime. A co-conspirator, Rosario LaMarca, was sentenced to 37 months in prison back in July, while two others Li worked with, Roberto Volpe and Andreina Becerra, are awaiting sentencing.

Article Link: Chinese Counterfeiter Busted for Selling $1.1M of Fake iPhones and iPads
A good lynching is in order.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
well, on the bright side I'm sure those people who bought it got to use Google now instead of Siri!
???????????????????????????????
Unlike the USA, business crimes are not overlooked and these men will go to a chinese prison or face a firing squad....

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Lots of conterfeit earbuds and lightning power cables being sold on eBay and through Walmart. The phony lightning connector I bought kind of works. My old phony earbuds worked pretty well with decent sound but the last 2 pack for $10 earbuds are a pretty much a fail. Inferior acoustics, a glitchy control and the stereo is reversed! I broke down and ordered some real ones. I can use the others for running.

Not all counterfeit products are the same.:D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Our justice system is screwed up when a bank robber gets 20+ years for stealing a couple thousand dollars while this guy gets several years for stealing a million+ dollars.

Reactions: imageWIS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.