Chinese Counterfeiter Busted for Selling $1.1M of Fake iPhones and iPads

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A Chinese counterfeiter who participated in a scheme to traffic and smuggle counterfeit products mimicking Apple's iPhones and iPads today pled guilty to trafficking and conspiracy charges, according to a press release shared on the website of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Jianhua "Jeff" Li, working through a company called Dream Digitals, conspired with several other individuals to smuggle more than 40,000 fake iPads, iPhones, and accessories into the United States from China from 2009 to 2014. The electronic devices in question included labels and packaging bearing counterfeit Apple trademarks.

[​IMG]

To get the counterfeit products into the country, Li shipped the devices separately from the counterfeit trademarks. Fake devices were sent all over the United States, and proceeds from the sales were funneled into bank accounts in Florida and New Jersey.

Li, who was officially charged with one count of conspiracy to traffic in counterfeit goods and labels and to smuggle goods into the United States and one count of trafficking in counterfeit goods, received payments totaling more than $1.1 million from U.S. accounts.

Li could be facing several years in prison for his crime. A co-conspirator, Rosario LaMarca, was sentenced to 37 months in prison back in July, while two others Li worked with, Roberto Volpe and Andreina Becerra, are awaiting sentencing.

Article Link: Chinese Counterfeiter Busted for Selling $1.1M of Fake iPhones and iPads

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

What the heck OS did they load these things with?

3. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Probably something like this.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

GOOD!

I've been burned once before wiht an iPhone 5C and reported it to the cops. ****** left the country left me out $500 for a crappy Android knock off that wouldn't even fully nor hold a charge to be used as a phone that I really needed. Hope he got busted just like these frakers. That was good hard-earned money in some tough times back then. Now I know what to look for when buying on the grey market which I'll stop from doing going forward.

5. Soccertess macrumors 65816

well, on the bright side I'm sure those people who bought it got to use Google now instead of Siri!

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I would think that this would happen less now since people lease their phones. Not as many try to buy a phone outright from a 3rd party.

7. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Um...about that phones holding charge thing ;) ain't that much different from a genuine iPhone:D

8. Avieshek, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Time to switch the manufacturing base to India.

9. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Geez. This scam must've taken so much effort. I'd just sell some scam cryptocurrency instead, way easier. And whoever built a fake iPhone and fake iOS obviously had a lot of legitimate talent they could've used for, you know, a regular job.

10. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Only discovered as bogus when the performance of the devices didnt dip after a few years.

11. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

We need stricter rulings like these where i am from. Here a rapist of a teenager gets a 1.000€ fine and 2 years on probation and crap like that

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In a way, it goes to show you the notoriety and popularity Apple Products has that a counterfeiter would go to these lengths to sell fraudulent Products. Can only imagine how upset somebody would be when they found out they received a counterfeit iPhone or iPad they purchased.

13. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I got all excited when reading the headline, thinking the Chinese authorities were going to actually enforce IP rights in their country, favoring foreign multinationals on their soil. What was I thinking..... lol

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Lol yes. But it’s all ties together. I got double screwed so this remains a sour point in my smartphone experience. Apple can thank her fakers and scammers for keeping me and my son into the Apple ecosystem into life.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

That was my first impression as well, oh well.....

16. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

If you buy things from such vendors at a ridiculous price point instead of the known channel partners you cannot complain. Nice to see though they still get caught.

17. isaccasi macrumors newbie

isaccasi

18. Jsameds, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018

Jsameds macrumors 68040

No you’re right they dipped as soon as they were switched on.

19. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

Lame.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2018 ---

--- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2018 ---
    A good lynching is in order.

20. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

???????????????????????????????
    Unlike the USA, business crimes are not overlooked and these men will go to a chinese prison or face a firing squad....

21. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

No battery slow down either :).

22. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

Lots of conterfeit earbuds and lightning power cables being sold on eBay and through Walmart. The phony lightning connector I bought kind of works. My old phony earbuds worked pretty well with decent sound but the last 2 pack for $10 earbuds are a pretty much a fail. Inferior acoustics, a glitchy control and the stereo is reversed! I broke down and ordered some real ones. I can use the others for running.

Not all counterfeit products are the same.:D

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Our justice system is screwed up when a bank robber gets 20+ years for stealing a couple thousand dollars while this guy gets several years for stealing a million+ dollars.