Chinese Holiday probably will affect iPod touch shipping

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by willyu, Sep 30, 2007.

1. willyu macrumors newbie

I read on the other thread about Fedex giving out reason as Chinese holidays for the delay in shipping... well...

After talking to my Chinese friends, Oct 1st is one of their three "Golden Week", i.e. EVERYONE GETS THAT WEEK OFF! NO WORK!:eek: And when I say everyone, I really mean everyone. All government offices will be closed for one week (including Customs I'll bet). All company, retailer, resturants...etc will be closed, unless you are willing to pay 3x the normal salary for this week.

So I guess we'll have to pray that Fedex will not be the cheap bastard and maintain a normal staffing level, or else...

Everyone's ipod touch is going to be arriving late...:(

EDIT: GOOD JOB APPLE! for selecting to release the weekend before the Golden Week. Are they really that ignorant or do they have their evil switch turned on?

2. tytanic11 macrumors member

For more information on holiday hours, check FedEx's site at http://www.fedex.com/cn_english/about/local/servicenews/customernews_Octholiday.html

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmm, that sucks, go to an apple store or best buy:rolleyes:

4. Cache macrumors regular

Does this mean my touch is on its way here and has already left china?

30 sep 2007 16:26 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot

Stupid holidays... :p

5. willyu thread starter macrumors newbie

6. TheMechanic macrumors regular

Well, I don't know anything about Chinese holidays but what I know is that my iPod shipped a few hours ago...

7. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Will i be effected?

28 Sep 2007 18:02 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot

8. mithykal macrumors regular

Wouldnt have thought so I think that means its left China, but im just guessing :eek:

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

How is it possible for Customs to close for a week? Adjusted working times, YES, but close is a sure NONO. No panic, those shipped should be FINE.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes. China's economy wouldn't completely shut down for a week. Everything will continue to ship.

11. mithykal macrumors regular

Like people have said it wont all shut down, when we have a bank holiday in England stores will open but they open later and close earlier than they normally would.
    So i'm sure this is similar in China, trading wont stop, but hours are cut down.

12. California King macrumors 65816

13. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

Well FedEx isn't working from the 1st to the 3rd so I'm thinking no, they won't budge until at least the 4th...assuming the Chinese bureaucrats go back to work.

Who is the rocket scientist that decided to start shipping 2 days before a week-long holiday? and who is the idiot that didn't use those 2 days to get our ipods out!

14. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

It depends where your iPod is. If Apple has already shipped it to Target (in the USA) then you're ok. If it is being shipped to you straight from china (unlikely but I don't know enough to comment) then you're in the same boat...with nobody to run it.

15. California King macrumors 65816

It hasn't been shipped yet, so I don't know, but if I were to guess, I'd think it's being shipped from the US. I think fom Minnesota or something (there was a thread about where it was shipped from)

16. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

It's National Day here, well will be, big holiday, lots of fireworks, but things should continue to ship fine. Lots of things will still be open.

17. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

but even fedex website says they will be closed

18. zeta920 macrumors newbie

um....frankly,I come from HongKong

And what i know is my iPoT is gonna be delivered on 4-10

I do believe it wont be affected;however,i know nothing about other country....

19. blaaat macrumors member

i Just got this message:
    01 Oct 2007 13:16 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot

So i think TNT is still working.

20. ShakyJackson macrumors member

My tracking reads....

30 Sep 2007 16:26 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot
    29 Sep 2007 19:18 Suzhou Consignment Received At Transit Point

But, just spoken to TNT and have been told that it won't be delivered to home (in Norwich, UK) until the 11th October due to the Chinese national holiday :(.
    Looke like everything comes to a standstill. Crazy.

/cry

21. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Hey,Hey,Hey .I live in China, Shanghai, just about 50 miles away from the factories which manufacted the iPod, MB and MBP. I have to correct your opinions about the "Golden Week". You should know that we Chinese has not the tradition to spend their money to buy luxuries or go for tourism, they prefer to hide their economy under their beds or just put it in bank.

But as inflamation is raising in China, the government decide to give Chinese people a long holiday,so they can use their money to help the economy growing, especialy the tourism, restaurants, and shopping. So the restaurants can not be closed,nearly 1/3 of the profit are made during the "Golden Week".Same thing for the shops and tourist attractions.

And let's talk about the factories that made the iPod Touch (I'm going to have a 8G when my mother return from Japan).Why China have so few vacations rather than the western countries? It's because China is the "world factory", you can imagine what will happen if the entire China quit their factories.So don't worry about your iPod, China has experience to balance who take the vacation, in important jobs like customs, iPod MB MBP making:),they will be people to take care of it, the 3x salary is very attractive for us Chinese, we are a developing country you know.They are many people who don't want vacation

22. c4ch macrumors newbie

really?

well, i've just called apple support (germany) and they told me my order (MBP, not a touch) will not arrive before sept. 15th, since the golden week is causing a 1 week delay :(

they mentioned that the problem is the carriers: the items cannot be handed over to them... (my status is "in transition to customer", but no carrier has been assigned yet)

regarding TNT: is it really them who is responsible for shipping to europe? does anyone know? so might i have a small chance, that my order will be processed on Oct. 4th?

thanks!

23. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

24. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

mine shipped yesterday but the estimated delivery is on 11-october

25. c4ch macrumors newbie

still no update...

hmm, my order has still not been handed over to the carrier... :mad:
    (same message since monday: "In transit to final destination - carrier details to be updated shortly")

so i guess the information from the apple support was correct: they will not do that before monday! which means a delay of 1 whole week!

somehow i was still hoping that they would manage to do it on thursday or friday, since TNT was said to be working for these 2 days...