Chinese iPhone different iOS? Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattBP, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MattBP macrumors member

Just bought an iPhone that came from China, and it appears to run a slightly adapted iOS... Has some Chinese social media account settings, Baidu search engine, calls Wi-Fi WLAN...

I don't think its fake as all my features are working (iMessage, continuity etc), but is there a way to get standard iOS software back on?

Also markings on the back dodged me out a bit as different to regular... Has anyone bought a Chinese iPhone before?

Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Bought it off our version of eBay here in New Zealand. It definitely seems legit, I just geek benched it and shows its got the right hardware....

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

There is no way to get your so-called "standard iOS" as iOS in China must comply with Chinese government regulation. One thing unique is WAPI, and the setting which allows you to control how an app could use network hardware.
    The back mark is also normal, as China has their own standards not needed in other countries.
    As long as Apple think this iPhone is legit, leave it be.

4. MattBP thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this reply! Can I ask what WAPI is? Is that why every app has to ask me if it is allowed to use data?

Also is WLAN just a different title for wifi or is actually something else?

Thanks!

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Basically, WAPI is a Chinese national standard to regulate wifi network card. You can refer to the Wikipedia link.
    Apps may not ask you to use data like other privileges, such as photos or media library. So don't worry much.