Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
'Ride wave'?

Isn't it the other way around?

Apple is riding the wave of Chinese brands (and Samsung) which introduced full screen models quite some time ago.

The ads for the Galaxy S8 in London have been insane.

Apple = paying an insane amount of money for inferior hardware a year after your colleagues showed you the tech in their Android phones.

If the Android OS hadn't been utter tripe, I would have switched ages ago.

Inferior hardware? Is that why iPhones continuously outperform every Galaxy phone?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Didn't all these Chinese brands, including Samsung, rush out all these full screen devices after all the rumours that the iPhone 8 would have a full screen? That's what tends to happen.... Apple rumours, Samsung make a phone copying those rumours and rush it out, Apple then release their phone with all the leaked features done properly.

Apple fans actually believe this. Lol

Reactions: Cloudkicker

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Love how Apple can now set a trend even before releasing a product, based on rumors. Remember all the Android Wears before iWatch, and now this.
actually it wasn't apple who started this trend, it goes all the way back to the sharp aquos phone and maybe earlier

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
For me, 3D Touch alone has habitually made using Android phones—full displays or not—feel really cumbersome to use and as if from long, long ago.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
'Ride wave'?

Isn't it the other way around?

Apple is riding the wave of Chinese brands (and Samsung) which introduced full screen models quite some time ago.

The ads for the Galaxy S8 in London have been insane.

Apple = paying an insane amount of money for inferior hardware a year after your colleagues showed you the tech in their Android phones.

If the Android OS hadn't been utter tripe, I would have switched ages ago.
Oh man, not another one of these kinds of posts. The grass isn't greener on the other side. I am sorry but spec hounds annoy me. Curved screen= gimmick. OLED= great for TV and arguably inferior for phone. Insanely high DPI= detrimental (high power and compute overhead for no benefit). Wireless charging= lame (still relies on inductive charging pad that is both slower and no more convenient than a plug). Then there is the fact that iPhones routinely beat that "newer" tech in benchmarks year after year after year. Why buy inflated specs like Samsung's higher liquid resistance rating that has been shown to actually be less resistant than the iPhone? If anything, admire the marketing that excites about the "new shiny" that is actually worse.

The trend towards zero bezel is old... and totally predictable. In a mobile device there is only so much physical space. A downside to smaller body:screen ratio should be obvious. Bigger display draws more power but in a package that cannot physically house a proportionally larger battery. I know, I know OLED is "more new and awesome" and might be more efficient when displaying mostly black, but it is very inefficient when displaying white.

For what it is worth, I miss having phone-sized phones.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
... Apple mostly waits until things are working perfectly before launching, which means that they tend to arrive later than the "that'll do - shove it out the door" Androids, but gain traction far quicker.

Exactly: Just like Siri and Maps, right? /s

R.E.L.A.X. dude. Apple "waiting until things are working perfectly before launching" belongs by now on the heap of "alt-facts".

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
A truly quality product isn't measured by sales but by influence on the industry.

Hence, this.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
All (tiresome) Android vs iPhone rhetoric aside, this looks AWESOME.

Can't wait for all phones to be like this.

To be honest, it's getting to the point where these things can do way more than I need them to.

What a time to be alive!

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
'Ride wave'?

Is that why the Snapdragon 835 is barely competitive with the A9? A 2 year old SoC?

In any case, the iPhone 8 will be the first all screen phone with stereo speakers. I've heard the speakers from competitors and they're crap. The iPhone 8 will also be the first with 3D scanning. That's mighty impressive if you ask me for an all screen phone.

When the first all-screen Mi Mix came out, the iPhone 7 looked like a '90s Motorola by comparison, and then the S8 perfected it.
I'd hardly call it "riding the iPhone 8 wave", as good as the next iPhone could be.

When on a call with the Mi Mix, sound is ejected from the rear of the phone and everyone can hear your conversations. Apple would never accept that kind of compromise.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The classic example is Apple Pay, which I've been using on my watch for over a year. I've never seen anyone using Google Wallet / Android Pay for anything, even though Android phones have had the hardware required for longer.

I and others used Google Wallet for years before Apple Pay came along.

Posted here about it, too... but few were interested back then in the idea of contactless smartphone payments -- no doubt because the iPhone couldn't do them yet.

Ditto for things like NFC tags, which iPhone users will now get more interested in.

So it goes with tech.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
Love how Apple can now set a trend even before releasing a product, based on rumors. Remember all the Android Wears before iWatch, and now this.

What trend are they setting? Finally ditching LCD? Using a cut-out at the top is a first... I don't think it'll be a trend. It seems to me the front of that Chinese phone is everything the iPhone 8 should have been & upcoming Samsung already is.
[doublepost=1503535880][/doublepost]
A truly quality product isn't measured by sales but by influence on the industry.

Hence, this.

But that's the double speak Apple fans live for. The iPhone is the best & point to sales. The MacBook (or entire Mac OS for the last 35 years) is about quality over quantity.

It bugs the heck out of me, but they want to look at it like: "Amazon speaker is half-baked & rushed out because they know Apple will perfect it in 3-4 years.... Yet Samsung is behind the trend when they want to wait to perfect a smart watch instead of rushing out a half-baked Apple Watch".

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
What trend are they setting? Finally ditching LCD? Using a cut-out at the top is a first... I don't think it'll be a trend. It seems to me the front of that Chinese phone is everything the iPhone 8 should have been & upcoming Samsung already is.
[doublepost=1503535880][/doublepost]

But that's the double speak Apple fans live for. The iPhone is the best & point to sales. The MacBook (or entire Mac OS for the last 35 years) is about quality over quantity.

It bugs the heck out of me, but they want to look at it like: "Amazon speaker is half-baked & rushed out because they know Apple will perfect it in 3-4 years.... Yet Samsung is behind the trend when they want to wait to perfect a smart watch instead of rushing out a half-baked Apple Watch".
Double speak? What do you mean...?

I've never heard anyone say the Apple Watch was half-baked. Just because it was the first of its kind out doesn't make it rushed... unlike other companies, Apple had it in the rumor mill for half a decade...

kdarling

macrumors P6
I've never heard anyone say the Apple Watch was half-baked. Just because it was the first of its kind out doesn't make it rushed...

How on earth was the Apple Watch "first of its kind"?

unlike other companies, Apple had it in the rumor mill for half a decade...

You mean some Apple fans had it in a rumor mill, because other companies had actually been making smartwatches for a long time. Wrist computers were all the rage in the late 90s.

For instance, Samsung's been making watchphones and smartwatches since before the turn of the century. Here's their Touch model with phone built-in dating from 2009. It's a precursor of their later Gear S:

422652-42a302fe5613cdcc0e71ec9acea20f37.jpg

By 2011, smartwatches were once again beginning to get a lot more attention. Fossil came out with their MetaWatch, Motorola with the MotoActv, and there was the Android based WiMM, whose source company was later bought by Google.

Apple didn't even have a watch project at the time.

Then in 2012-13 the Italian I'm Watch came out with both sport and precious metal fashion versions (shades of Apple Watch to come), Sony brought out their Smartwatch model, Martian notification watches were getting popular, and the Pebble project became an unexpectedly large success.

All this happened before serious iWatch rumors.

If anything, all these external events pushed Apple into thinking that it was about time to jump into the smartwatch ring themselves, and made fans aware of what they were missing.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Didn't all these Chinese brands, including Samsung, rush out all these full screen devices after all the rumours that the iPhone 8 would have a full screen? That's what tends to happen.... Apple rumours, Samsung make a phone copying those rumours and rush it out, Apple then release their phone with all the leaked features done properly.

Wrong! As this article points out, XiaoMi already introduced an all-screen mode last October, way before any details about the iPhone 8 rumor.

Brazzan

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Exactly: Just like Siri and Maps, right? /s

R.E.L.A.X. dude. Apple "waiting until things are working perfectly before launching" belongs by now on the heap of "alt-facts".
I deliberately said mostly, rather than always. No organisation is perfect, but Apple gets it right more often than others. If they stop doing that, they lose my business.

I know some people like to live in a distorted fanboy world where everything about their favoured manufacturer's products is perfect and everything about their rivals is terrible, but it doesn't help to jump to that conclusion just because someone disagrees with you. Maybe they're making a more nuanced point than that.
[doublepost=1503613807][/doublepost]
I used Android pay at Hannaford's the other day and used it at KFC last week
Oh, I'm sure some people must use it; I've just never witnessed it, which suggest that it can't be particularly common. Judging by the surprise at the "magic" Apple watch's payment capability shown by my two colleagues with high end Android phones earlier this week, I'm guessing that relatively few Android owners are aware of it. To be fair, most iPhone users don't use Apple pay very often, but my own experience suggests that it's way more common than the use of Android Pay.

Judging by these figures, it looks like Android is catching up, though.
[doublepost=1503614058][/doublepost]
Please explain how this has anything to do with the topic of the article. tl;dr it doesn't
Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. I was responding to another post on the thread, not the original article.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Oh, I'm sure some people must use it; I've just never witnessed it, which suggest that it can't be particularly common. Judging by the surprise at the "magic" Apple watch's payment capability shown by my two colleagues with high end Android phones earlier this week, I'm guessing that relatively few Android owners are aware of it. To be fair, most iPhone users don't use Apple pay very often, but my own experience suggests that it's way more common than the use of Android Pay.

I've never seen anyone use Apple pay but I don't doubt it's popularity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.