Chinese New Year and the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by privil, Feb 9, 2010.

1. privil macrumors newbie

So far, I´ve just been following your guesswork here, and you really got me convinced that the MBP update was about to happen today.

As it did obiously not, I would like to share some interesting thought I read on a german forum (can`t seem to find it anymore though, so can`t directly credit the original poster, sorry):

Someone claimed that the update will not take place before Chinese New Year is over. It`s a big thing and traditionally lasts for 15days. These days, officially people get three days off, but usually take up to a week of holidays. So it really slows down business, and the original poster claimed that apple would not announce the MBP-update before it is over.

Chinese New Year in 2010 starts on February 14, so: Update after the 23d. - Sorry guys to rain on your parade, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I've had a craving for chocolate fudge birthday cake made my the local Italian bakery here. Thankfully the gf is Chinese so I ordered a 8 to 10 person one for this weekend. If it wasn't for her I'd have to wait to September to have that cake.

3. apw100 macrumors regular

Chinese New Year doesn't matter. If the MacBookPro's are going to be refreshed in the next couple of weeks, then they are already on a boat crossing the Pacific.
    Also, the factories take New Year into account. When Apple signs a production contract, you can be damn sure that they will receive the product on the date they specify, Chinese New Year or not.

4. simonshek macrumors member

Chinese New Year = Thanks giving/Christmas. If you say New Year doesn't matter to you, i'll say WFC thanks giving/christmas.

5. Falundir macrumors member

I've worked through every holiday at some point in my life, I'm sure the Chinese would as well..

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Guys, I got a great idea. Why don't a bunch of non-native Chinese Apple fans debate the habits of some non-specific workforce during Chinese New Year in this thread.

It can only produce results. Have at it.

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

This makes sense, surprisingly. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about unfair labor practices on behalf of the great Steve!

Habitus :apple:

8. jianglai macrumors member

jianglai

I'm Chinese and it's true that most Chinese don't work during spring festival. However it should be noted that spring festival is also the shopping season just like thanksgiving and christmas. So if Apple has any concern about spring festival it would have already released the new product line, not letting levono or dell take all the profit from the shopping tide.

9. mickey23 macrumors newbie

Im viet... and out newyears falls in line with chinese new year... if you've ever been to vietnam on chinese new years like i have... it is dead for the 3 days after, nothing open... then starts to wake up day 4 by day 7... business as usual...

im just saying chinese new year is a big big deal... maybe you in what ever country your at, work.... but the factory in china wont work for a few days