Chinese New Year


wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Happy New Year to any of our Chinese members. Year of the Rooster. The site listed has a lot of very helpful hints for the year. The blue color is very appealing.
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
Happy Chinese New Year. The best part about it is the red envelope money! Just got some!! Will buy some more Apple products. Wish American new years were just as fun (financially).

Oh...the moon cakes are yummy, too!

So who else in macrumors celebrate chinese new year? What did you do/eat?
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
MacFan782040 said:
I think im gonan celabrate by making a trip to ChinaKing and ordering some pork fried. yum
Is ChinaKing any good? There are not a lot of good chinese buffets here in Connecticut. Maybe I should drive down to NY City for the day. Hmm...
 

krimson

macrumors 65816
Eevee said:
Happy Chinese New Year. The best part about it is the red envelope money! Just got some!! Will buy some more Apple products. Wish American new years were just as fun (financially).

Oh...the moon cakes are yummy, too!

So who else in macrumors celebrate chinese new year? What did you do/eat?
Last night? (ill have to go phonetic for some)


Ginseng Black chicken soup
sour bamboo soup
2 kinds of Nien gaw (fried sticky rice cake)
fa gaw (like a fried sponge cake)
radish cake
3 types of fish
surf clam and fresh squid (as sashimi)
sou mien (flat noodle)
mixed seafood stir fry veggies
"oil rice"
bbq pork
bitter cabbage and sea cucumber
abalone and broccoli
chinese sausage w/ raw garlic

and red bean soup to finish.

:)
 

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
360
0
Sactown
This has nothing to do with Lunar New Year (which I don't celebrate thanks to Emporer Meiji) but a friend of an old roommate was working as a weatherman in Greenville, SC and was relaying a story about his first Chinese food experience there. He said they served something called Chingaling sauce. Yes, Chingaling.

Now that was 12 years ago and since then I have not been able to verify the existance of such a thing. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
krimson, those sound yummy!! I had those before!!! Where in LA did you go for dinner? Or did you cook yourself? My family members are in Torrance and Irvine and there are tons of Chinese restaurants. By the way, who's the girl on your avatar?

craigdawg, what did Emperor Meiji do (who is he?)? Is "Chingaling sauce Cantonese, Taiwanese, or mandarin? Never heard of it. Are you sure this is the right spelling?
 

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
360
0
Sactown
Eevee said:
craigdawg, what did Emperor Meiji do (who is he?)? Is "Chingaling sauce Cantonese, Taiwanese, or mandarin? Never heard of it. Are you sure this is the right spelling?
Emperor Meiji (1852-1912) presided over the modernization/Westernization of Japan and adopted the Gregorian calendar, making new year’s January 1. So we get our celebration on in January.

Tom Cruise meets the young Emperor Meiji at the beginning of "The Last Samurai".

I suspect Chingaling sauce, if such a thing exists, is not an Asian creation.
 

krimson

macrumors 65816
Eevee said:
krimson, those sound yummy!! I had those before!!! Where in LA did you go for dinner? Or did you cook yourself? My family members are in Torrance and Irvine and there are tons of Chinese restaurants. By the way, who's the girl on your avatar?
We usually gather at my aunts house, she (stereotypically) used to own a restaurant, til she retired. I live in the center of asian food, the san gabriel valley, equidistant from all the major asian food places in la county.

the girl? a japanese model, whose name i can't recall ATM.

-------------
craig, i believe that there is no such sauce. I just asked my mum and dad, and they've never heard of anything close. It doesn't sound taiwanese.. and while it could be from china, the closest thing is a herbal concoction made of fresh bean sprout (ching doh ling), but that's more medicine than sauce. There are, however, 36 provinces in China, and most, if not all have different sauces and pronounciations.

Chingaling, sounds more like a variation of a slur.. chingchong, chink. I doubt there would have been 'asian fusion' food 12 years ago... so either they heard/reported it wrong, or it was something that someone made up, catering to the local palette... kinda like how fortune cookies came into existence.

:)
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,881
0
To any Chinese members that speak cantonese

Kong he fa choi :D (happy new year)
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
Platform said:
To any Chinese members that speak cantonese

Kong he fa choi :D (happy new year)

Don't forget the next sentence, which is important!

(don't remember the cantonese, maybe you can fill this part) Give me red envelope!!!!!

Thanks Krimson for the info!
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,881
0
Eevee said:
Don't forget the next sentence, which is important!

(don't remember the cantonese, maybe you can fill this part) Give me red envelope!!!!!

Thanks Krimson for the info!
Yes the red packet are very famous :p
 

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
1,657
0
Maryland
krimson said:
Last night? (ill have to go phonetic for some)


Ginseng Black chicken soup
sour bamboo soup
2 kinds of Nien gaw (fried sticky rice cake)
fa gaw (like a fried sponge cake)
radish cake
3 types of fish
surf clam and fresh squid (as sashimi)
sou mien (flat noodle)
mixed seafood stir fry veggies
"oil rice"
bbq pork
bitter cabbage and sea cucumber
abalone and broccoli
chinese sausage w/ raw garlic

and red bean soup to finish.

:)
Dammmn. I could use some nian gaw myself. Hong dou soup is nice too, though I'm also partial to the jello incarnation that I see so much nowadays. Hardly what I call "decent" chinese food in College Park, I should probably head home tomorrow.
 

Space Cadet

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2005
18
0
Puget Sound
Gwongdonwah!

Tragically, mm hei ho sic tang gwongdonwah.

I have no idea how to properly write that down. I was doing a Pimsleur course. The tapes were stolen. But I love Cantonese.

And I adore pan fried dumplings.