Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
Hi all.

I am trying to make a gift for a friend of mine that is moving into their first home. They recently got back from China and loved it.

I'd like to make a plaque that has a saying along the lines of Home sweet home, or home is where the heart is... etc etc or any sort of translation that could come close as far as the situation of moving into their first home. Goodluck or something.

I don't want to mess up the symbols though so does anyone know the translation for one of those sayings? I know there are things on google for instance that will give me the characters, but I dont' want it to be incorrectly translated. If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Direct me to the correct symbols and I can go from there. :)

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
well i found this translator in google, but if anyone can tell me if this is right, that would be great.

家庭是心 - home is where the heart is
没有像家 - there's no place like home

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
The first one doesn't really stand for home, it means family is where the heart is. I don't know about the second one though, if I have to guess, it's not right. My Chinese is not that great. :eek:

愛回家 - Love going home. <--it's also a song's name. :D

That's all I can help. :p

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Whew. From the title I was afraid you were contemplating a tattoo.

I am not Chinese, but my suggestion is to review the nearly five years of brilliant archives at Hanzi Smatter and get a feel for why you want to wait for someone who is. :)

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
US
There has got to be someone on here that is chinese with a good understanding of this! :) Help please!

That's why I am waiting, I know these symbols are easy to mess up.

love going home could work too though.

I just want a short phrase for Home or bless my home, or This is my home or home is full of laughter...

something along those lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.