Chinese text in Excel 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anroy, Apr 2, 2011.

1. anroy macrumors newbie

I was a Windows XP user who switched to the Mac last year.

I am now using the Mac version of Microsoft Office 2011. I occasionally need to copy-paste Chinese text from the web into Excel cells. However some of the characters do not show up properly.

This was never an issue with Excel in Windows, with any language. Does anyone know what I will need to do to enable this?

2. tcador macrumors regular

Are you able to input Chinese text outside of Excel? I haven't had any issues and I've been running excel for several weeks now.

3. anroy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am able to copy-paste from Chinese sites to text files using TextEdit or TextWrangler and view them properly.

In case of Excel, I am able to actually view the text correctly in Excel input area, above the cells. It just doesn't render properly in the cell itself, and it seems to be just some selected characters that don't show up.

Here is what I mean. For example, the two characters following "3D" in the text below.

[​IMG]

I wondered if I just need Chinese fonts. However I didn't have Chinese fonts in my Windows version either and all Chinese characters showed up fine.

4. tcador macrumors regular

How about switching input and typing pinyin directly instead of copy/paste? Might be worth reinstalling if you have no issues in other programs. Sorry, don't have any more suggestions....

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

What font are you using? Maybe your font choice doesn't support a wide enough range of characters?

6. chriszgn macrumors newbie

chriszgn

i agree...

press "command + A"

and then choose the right font...