Chintzy USB cable on ipad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Geekbabe, May 4, 2012.

1. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Is it just me or is the USB cable on the ipad 3 chintzy feeling? I've got cables from older ipods and cannot help but notice that they feel heavier and more rugged?

Is it just me or are this new cables kinda flimsy?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have absolutely no idea what chintzy means. I thought it was a brand until I read the post.

3. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The cable that came with my new iPad seems thinner but stiffer. The insulation seems to have changed from a softer plastic to a stiffer one.

4. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

so sorry, I didn't think that users from other parts of the world wouldn't get the meaning of the word. I think the new cable is flimsy and fear it will break off at the connector end really easily.

5. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I haven't taken mine out of the box because I have plenty of cables

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Feel" and "are" are two different things. If you like the feel of the older cables then use the older cables. You don't have to use the included cable.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It doesn't seem any different to me than my iPad 2, my iPhone 4, my iPod Touch, or my iPod Classic

8. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Mine just works, so I really have not given it much thought. ;)

9. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

I thought it was better as its supposed to pump the maximum amount of power thought the cable as per the new mega battery. I would stick to it for the iPad 3

10. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

You might very well be correct, mine just feels really fragile, like it could easily snap off at the ends. I'm taking the ipad into the Apple store tomorrow to get Apple Care + for it, I'll just ask the genius to give his opinion on the cable. I have other cables here so it isn't a biggie.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My new MBP is exactly the same, as you've described. A few years ago, Apple included cables attached to the power brick that had a very high quality feel. They were very flexible and just exuded class.

Sadly, it's a cost cutting measure. These new cables work and that's about it. I really wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for the product, if they included the premium cables like the ones in the past.