Chip in 27 inch Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by youngtom89, Feb 28, 2014.

1. youngtom89 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Today is a truly sad day.

No idea how it happened, but I have a fairly large chip in my 4 month old iMac :(

Does anyone know roughly how much this will cost to replace as I am pretty sure apple wont replace it for free...?

Any advice would be great!

Tom

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're correct in your assumption that Apple won't replace it for free since its user incurred.

Take it in and get an estimate from them, that's probably the best way to get the most accurate cost estimate.

Good luck, and bummer on the chip :(

3. gooostovo macrumors newbie

gooostovo

Is it the super thin iMac? I would say anywhere from $500 to $800. The way it's made makes it pretty hard to repair, even for a "Genius." They just don't make them like they used to.

If it were an '09 model like mine, you could simply use two suction cups to pull the glass off that is held by magnets and replace the glass yourself.

Sorry about your luck! Let us know what happens. They may feel sympathy for you and replace it for cheap. They have helped me out in the past and changed my whole MacBook's plastic housing for free before, even though it wasn't in warranty.