Chip partitioning - boot camp - windows - leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tralalala, Feb 1, 2009.

1. tralalala macrumors newbie

Hello there :]]

I have quite an illiterate question (although intuition provides me with an answer).

I installed windows xp on my leopard mac (although i know not why might I want to use it for ... ) and i wonder whether the processing power/performance is going to be somewhat altered ?

Any sense talking about process partioning ?

PS Hypothesis is that I shall not use programs like Parallels

Thanks in advance !

Long live mac :]

Mac book - 2.4Ghz - 2MB - 120GB :apple:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

myth!!!!!!!

performance will not be effected at all by installing windows under bootcamp.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

When you run Windows via bootcamp (ie boot into it), there is no partitioning of the chip - Leopard/OSx is NOT running. The only difference from a regular window PC is slightly different drivers to deal with the EFIX (Mac's replacement of BIOS). It would be hard to give actual numbers since you'd have to have windows PC with identical components to compare with.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its funny that you say that, because a similarly spec'd PC was tested against a MBP in bootcamp in both xp & vista, and the MBP won.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I remember seeing that. My point was that it wouldn't be slower due to running on Mac/Bootcamp.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup i saw that, the only time mac osx would perform slower is if there is less than 15gb's free on its startup disk. :)

now running OS's virtually, thats another story.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Keep in mind that "BootCamp" is not an ongoing process- it is only an application ("The BootCamp Assistant" much like a Windows "wizard") to automate the process of establishing a suitable partition for Windows installation.

When someone says they are running Windows via BootCamp it is actually a misnomer. What they are actually doing is booting and running Windows from a partition that was originally established by the BootCamp Assistant.

When Windows is run via Parallels or Fusion, the game changes since both of those are actually applications running in the Mac OS environment.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think he is aware of that, even i say that "the other day i was running such and such a program on bootcamp" which isnt true, because there is no program running it*.

*technically there is, but you know.. it makes it to confusing.