Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone use Chipolo One Spot? Apart from the precision finding, are they the same?

They have replaceable batteries so that’s good, as don’t like the idea of it lasting a year and then pay to swap.

I presume as it’s a Find My device, even if Chipolo stop trading they will still work as integrated with Apple and don’t need the Chipolo app.

Also regarding both AirTag and Chipolo, do people use them on cars? I know it’s not a GPS but I think it maybe good for my car for a little bit security. I suppose the downside is the thief if he had an iPhone, would get notifications to say it’s being tracked and try to find it, suppose the chipolo would be better as no precision finding! Or now Apple made it easier is this what makes them unsuitable for car tracking

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This forum doesn't see a lot of traffic, and chipolo doesn't seem to promote the one spot a whole lot, so the two combined makes it unlikely many have given the device any thought.

remember that Apple still waits a couple hours (supposedly) before alerting someone with an airtag riding along, and if you make it fairly difficult to get at such as adhered up behind a bumper cover, a non-pro thief may just ditch the vehicle and move on.

Reactions: Slix

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
This forum doesn't see a lot of traffic, and chipolo doesn't seem to promote the one spot a whole lot, so the two combined makes it unlikely many have given the device any thought.

remember that Apple still waits a couple hours (supposedly) before alerting someone with an airtag riding along, and if you make it fairly difficult to get at such as adhered up behind a bumper cover, a non-pro thief may just ditch the vehicle and move on.

Thanks, yeh seems low traffic. Suppose its a basic device that does 1 thing…

I was hoping to maybe use on my bike as well, but the speaker would sound and alert the thief pretty quick, whereas on a car as you say they possibly wouldn’t hear it.

I see some eBikes now have Find My integrated. So how does that work in respect to if its stolen to not alert the thief I wonder?

I know its not advertised as a security device, just thinking what else could use for.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
As for audio alerts, it's pretty easy to disable the speaker on an AirTag, don't know about chipolo.

Not sure which ebikes have FindMy enablement, but I suppose if it's deeply embedded / nonremoveable then its discovery would lead the thief to ditch the bike. Though with an ebike you have a power source so why not embed a GPS/cellular transmitter which doesn't alert anyone to its presence, though they do have a subscription cost.

Way I figure, an AirTag adds some chance of recovering a stolen (conventional) bike, even if small, which is more than the near-zero chance without. Plus if it's just someone joyriding and ditching it, or a thief who does a quick turnaround sale, there's a chance the AirTag isn't detected before you've located the bike.

As for other uses. Keys of course, though that doesn't apply to me personally. Some use them with their luggage in air travel. Someone might put one inside the kayak at their lake dock in case it should get loose. Pet tag holders seem popular as well and parents stashing on in their kids book bag.

The things aren't going to be useful to everyone, though certainly they can be of use to some folks.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Thanks, yeh seems low traffic. Suppose its a basic device that does 1 thing…

I was hoping to maybe use on my bike as well, but the speaker would sound and alert the thief pretty quick, whereas on a car as you say they possibly wouldn’t hear it.

I see some eBikes now have Find My integrated. So how does that work in respect to if its stolen to not alert the thief I wonder?

I know its not advertised as a security device, just thinking what else could use for.
You could contact the manufacturer to see if they've allowed different usage behaviours as the "AirTag" built into these bicycles can't be removed and used for stalking purposes...

It would make sense for Apple to allow built-in Find My devices to behave differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.